Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Little of This, A Little of That

by Alan

If I could no longer write mysteries, what would I write instead?

I like mysteries; I read tons of them. But I also like thrillers, horror novels, YA books, coming-of-age stories, and science fiction novels. So I could see myself writing books in any of those genres.

Here’s a little admission: when I write, I try not to think in terms of genre. I think in terms of story. If I’ve thought of a great story idea, then I’ll seriously consider writing it, no matter what section it might wind up in at the bookstore.thetastecoverforwebsite

Truth be told, I’ve already dabbled. You see, my alter ego, Zak Allen, has pubbed two original ebooks: THE TASTE (horror) and FIRST TIME KILLER (thriller). I had a blast writing each of them and they came out pretty close to my (twisted) visions.

In addition, I’ve written a YA book (currently being shopped by my agent) and I’ve also written another coming-of-ager (not sure what I’m going to do with that one). Of my list of “alternate” genres, the only one I haven’t tried (yet) is science fiction (I’m afraid my agent might kill me if I do that).

Of course, I’ve always wanted to write a TV show or screenplay, or maybe a cookbook (I like to eat), or a book on poker, or maybe…

*****

And speaking of books in different genres, this Saturday, June 16, at 2:30, I’ll be at The Taste of Reston festival (Reston Town Center in Reston, VA), reading from one of my childhood favorites, My Side of the Mountain. Look for the Family Fun Zone Stage and bring your friends (and your appetite)!

3 comments:

David Kentner -- KevaD said...

I've always thought science fiction was a genre I should never write in, so, naturally, I'm sketching a science fiction story just to find out if I'm correct. *sigh* Apparently, my imagination and common sense don't always travel the same path.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Writing is like a smorgasboard - once you taste one item, you want to taste them all. Sounds like you got "the taste."

Alan Orloff said...

David - Isn't that always the case? Sheesh, writers!

Sue Ann - Writing is like a smorgasbord. And sometimes I get indigestion just thinking about it!