Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Six Words: I have always been very lucky.


Vicki here today. 
Do you believe in luck?

I do. We often hear that people make their own luck, but sometimes it’s just fate. 

Take me, for example.  I may not have scaled great heights in my writing career but it’s solid and prolific and something I can be proud of, and I have three great publishers I respect.  There’s a lot of persistence in building a writing career, to be sure, but a healthy dose of luck is pretty important also. 

I didn’t inherit money, but I was lucky enough (that word again!) to work for a number of years for a company which gave us stock options. And, even better luck, their stock just kept climbing no matter what the rest of the stock market did. I was also lucky not to take the advice of any financial advisors who told me to diversity. I kept my company stock.  If my luck had gone the other way, I could have lost it all.  But it didn’t, and so I was able to retire early and become a full time writer.

I am blessed with good health, although I should say I am lucky to have good health, because other than keeping my diet light on junk food and processed food, I don’t do much to keep myself healthy.

I am lucky that all my children grew up to be strong, healthy, intelligent, passionate women.  (Perhaps I had a little bit to do with that, but as we know, sometimes, it’s just luck).


I’m lucky to live in a peaceful time, in a peaceful place.  I certainly can’t say I had anything do to with that.  I was lucky to have good parents who gave me good genes and support and a good education with which to make my way in the world.

And I was certainly lucky to have been invited to join the crew at 7 Criminal Minds.



4 comments:

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

And we're lucky to have you, Vicki!

Meredith Cole said...

I second that, Sue Ann! I think luck is often a combination of timing and hard work--and you often can't have one without the other.

Dru said...

We're lucky to have your book for our reading pleasure.

Vicki Delany said...

Many thanks, Dru.