Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Blueberry Pudding Cake


I am so ready for the 7 Criminal Minds first annual potluck.  My only problem will be deciding what to bring from my vast repertoire of desserts.

First, some background. I have recently fallen in with a fabulous group of women of a certain age in the area in which I live.  I tend to be a somewhat shy and retiring person (really, in real life I am) and although I've lived here for four years, I hadn't met many people. Then a friend from the old days moved nearly and she, being the opposite of shy and retiring, began meeting people.  So she suggested I come along to the pot luck dinner party she was attending.  I did, and had a great time.  In fact, everyone had such a great time that we decided it had to be a monthly event. 

I love to bake, but doing a lot of baking wouldn’t do my waistline any favours.  So I try to bake something special to bring to the party. This time of year I’m keen to use berries plucked straight off the local bushes.  By coincidence, tonight is our July party and I’ll be bringing what I modestly refer to as my “World Famous Blueberry Pudding Cake.”

I’ll make two batches, and one can do us for the 7 Criminal Minds Pot Luck. 


Vicki Delany’s Blueberry Pudding Cake

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cornstarch
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla



Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan. (I have a silicone baking pan which works just great and no need for buttering.) 

Stir together 1/3 cup sugar, water, lemon juice, cornstarch in small saucepan over low heat. Stir in blueberries. 

Simmer, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk together egg, milk, melted butter, vanilla in a large bowl, then add flour mixture, whisking until just combined. 

Spoon batter into baking pan, spreading evenly, then pour blueberry mixture evenly over batter.

Bake about 25 to 30 minutes.




I'd love to know what's your favourite pot luck dish.  Include a link to the recipe if you have one.

2 comments:

Howard Sherman said...

Sounds divine! I would whip one up in a second except in my house I'm the only person who likes blueberries in baked goods.

Vicki Delany said...

Howard, it's good enough to eat all on your own!