Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Summer Thrills

By Hilary Davidson

My confession: I hate summer. I have a vague memory of enjoying it when I lived in Toronto, but in the decade since I moved to New York, it's become my least favorite season. My lack of affection for it is based partly on the sticky unpleasantness of heat and humidity in the concrete jungle. It's also because summer is invariably a crazy time for me. I spend most of it chained to my desk, and when I venture outside, I wish I were still chained to my desk.

That said, there is one highlight: Thrillerfest, the conference of the International Thriller Writers, which takes place in New York every July. While there's plenty going for the conference, the very best thing about it is that it brings so many wonderful people to town. This year, that list included Meg Gardiner, Sean Chercover, Dennis Tafoya, Brad Parks, Daniel Palmer, Jennifer Hillier, Owen Laukkanen, Peter Farris, Jamie Freveletti, Carla Buckley, Boyd Morrison, Sophie Littlefield, Mike Cooper, Shane Gericke, Josh Corin, Pam Callow... um, I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Some highlights from this year. I was having so much fun I forgot to snap photos until the last night, at the ITW awards banquet:

At the Tor/Forge table with my awesome publicist, Aisha Cloud, author Jon McGoran (who has a novel coming out with Forge next July), and editor extraordinaire Kristin Sevick Brown.
Brad Parks and Daniel Palmer rock the house with "Ghost Writers in the Sky"
You cannot imagine how hilarious this was... 
With one of my favorite thriller writers, Jeffery Deaver, at the afterparty. 
With the always-awesome Todd Robinson at the after-afterparty. While Thrillerfest is terrific for bringing out-of-town friends into NYC, it's also fantastic for getting New Yorkers into Manhattan to party. 

Wait, there's more! Check out the video of Brad Parks and Daniel Palmer performing "Ghost Writers in the Sky" at the awards banquet. Many, many thanks to Karen Dionne for recording this for posterity:



If there's one negative thing I have to say about this year's Thrillerfest, it's this: some wonderful writers were missing from it. In particular, I would have loved to see Rebecca Cantrell there, so I could say congratulations on her latest Hannah Vogel novel, A CITY OF BROKEN GLASS. The book is out today from Forge, and it's earning rave reviews. Library Journal gave it a star and said: “Cantrell’s fourth historical featuring journalist Hannah Vogel (after A Game of Lies) is compulsively readable. A palpable sense of dread builds, as we know that Kristallnacht, the Nazi pogrom of November 1938, is imminent. This award-winning series succeeds at weaving a very personal story into a well-researched historical survey. In an increasingly crowded genre period, Cantrell’s series stands tall.”

Check out Becky's website to see more praise for the book. Read an excerpt over at Macmillan's site. And please send email to Becky telling her that she needs to come to New York next summer!

6 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

What fun to see the photos and videos from Thrillerfest! Looks like you had a great time, Hilary.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Thanks, Hilary, for the shout out and the photos! I confess I spent time reading all the tweets and wishing I'd gone after all. Next summer, I hope.

Glad to hear that it was wonderful, as always!

Hilary Davidson said...

Thanks for stopping by, Meredith and Becky! Wish you'd both been at Thrillerfest!

Karen Dionne said...

Wasn't that fun! So glad I thought to pull out my trusty iPhone!

Hilary Davidson said...

Karen, we're all so glad that you did! (PS It was wonderful to see you at the banquet!)

Janet Rudolph said...

so all could share who weren't there. Thanks.