Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Summertime Rolls

by Chris F. Holm

Ah, summer: those lazy, hazy, sticky days when those as pink-complected as me wonder just what the eff their ancestors were thinking leaving those cool, fog-draped moors in the first place. I confess, I'm partial to autumn myself, but I'll reluctantly admit that summer has its charms. So allow me to present to you my Hastily Transcribed, Entirely Ad-Libbed, and Quite Possibly Made-Up List of Top Ten Summer Indulgences:

1. Lobster Rolls
Yup: lobster ain't just for the tourists. But we who live in Maine year-round (I won't dare call myself a Mainer, seeing as how I'm From Away) are far too lazy for the bib-and-crappy-plastic-plier-thingies routine. So nine times out of ten, we go for the lobster roll. Succulent claw and tail meat tossed with mayo and herbs (or, according to some, butter) and mounded high atop a buttered, toasted frankfurter roll... mmmmmm.

2. Flip-Flops
Shoes suck. Enough said. 

3. Cold Drinks on a Warm Deck
Beer, cocktails, or wine, it's all the same to me. Whether I'm on my front porch with a view of our sun-dappled street, or a waterfront bar looking out at the icy Atlantic, I really can't go wrong.

4. Ocean Breezes
One of the great delights of living on the coast is blowing raspberries at the poor saps living inland of you every time you happen to catch a weather report. Five miles inland, it's usually sweltering, but the coast's always a few degrees cooler. (Can a breeze be an indulgence? Who cares? I've got a list to pad!)

5. Daylight
During winters in Maine, circadian rhythms can be a bitch. The sun goes down, and so do my energy levels. But when the sun rises just after five and doesn't set till nearly nine, I've got ample juice to get through my day. Suddenly, cramming in the day job and a run and a little strumming of the guitar and then some dinner followed by writing doesn't seem quite so untenable a schedule. Heck, every now and again, I manage to cram in a little...

6. Cheesy Summer Programming
White Collar. Covert Affairs. Psych. Burn Notice (at least until it started sucking.) The late, lamented Eureka. Summertime is rife with breezy genre fare, and I happily gobble up as much of it as I can. Man cannot live on The Wire alone.

7. Blowing Off Blogging Obligations Because I Feel Like It
See what I did there? Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna soak up as much of 1-6 as I can while they're still around...

11 comments:

Sean Chercover said...

Can't go with you on the flip-flops, dude. Love the rest of the list, and yeah I hate shoes too, but I really hate that thing between my toes.

I say: Go barefoot.

Chris said...

Barefoot's fine by me...

Meredith Cole said...

Just thinking of those ocean breezes is making me very jealous this morning, Chris. Love the list!

Anonymous said...

Love your list! Thelma Straw

Chris said...

Thanks, Meredith and Thelma! (Though that breeze ain't been much to speak of these past few days.)

Ryan S. said...

I understand the From Away bit; living in Maine, my Midwestern accent was identified by the locals as 'sounding like Elvis'. I remember the summer sunrise. Oh God... Also, Psych! That's the show I patterned my life after.

Reece said...

Nice list, Chris. White Collar is the pina colada of television programming.

lil Gluckstern said...

You had me with the lobster roll.Your list sounds lovely.
Enjoy!

Chris said...

Ryan: Mainers are plenty friendly to folks From Away, but they do hold you a tad apart nonetheless.

Reece: That sums it up perfectly. I'd love to see the team behind it tackle adapting one of Westlake's Dortmunder capers.

Lil: If you've never had one, do. If you have, then heck -- have another!

Jack Getze said...

Lobster is the food of the Gods. And I'm with Sean on those thingies between the toes. Ouch! Barefoot or my old surfing' huaraches.

Chris said...

The gods should be so lucky. 'Course, they DO have snazzier sandals than I do, if the statues are to be believed.