Monday, August 6, 2012

My Hero!

By Sue Ann Jaffarian

In my Odelia Grey series, Odelia is married to a man named Greg Stevens. Because of an accident in his early teens, Greg is in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the waist down.  But in spite of his physical disability, he is far from disabled. Greg plays basketball in a wheelchair league, surfs, golfs, and sails. He seldom encounters physical boundaries, and when he does, as in Booby Trap when he is determined to save Odelia's life and hits a roadblock, he puts his brain to work.

So when it comes to sports, pick a sport, any sport, and Greg will at least try it, if not excel at it. He's Odelia's glass-half-full to her glass-half-empty. He's also very tough and protective.

One of my favorite scenes involving Greg also comes from Booby Trap.  He and Odelia have just settled Odelia's father, Horten, in the hospital and join her odious step-mother and step-brother in the waiting room. There Greg and JJ face off over JJ's treatment of Horten:

I stepped between JJ and Greg. “What’s going on?”
“The crip is in my face,” whined JJ. “Tell him to heel.”
I glared at my stepbrother before turning to Greg. My husband’s face was the color of borscht, even his ears. Generally, Greg is pretty even tempered. It takes a lot to push his buttons, which is one of the things I like best about him. But once activated, look out. But this current look was beyond anger. It was even beyond being pissed off. Greg was outraged and I was pretty sure it wasn’t about being called a crip.
Faster than a coiled snake, Greg reached up and grabbed the front of JJ’s shirt with both hands. With a mighty grunt, he threw JJ into a group of empty plastic chairs lined up against the wall. JJ hit the chairs and landed sprawled across the floor.
“If you ever speak to my wife like that again, or mistreat Horten in any way, I’ll show you just how able-bodied this crip can be.”
Applause broke out from the other folks in the waiting room.
Is it any wonder Greg Stevens is a favorite among my readers?  He's the hero in the white hat, riding a steed of high-tech metal.

3 comments:

lil Gluckstern said...

He's the other reason I like the Odelia Grey mysteries. I wrote the with a smile and a tear.

Meredith Cole said...

Love the paralympic games--always so inspiring. Go Greg go!

Gary Phillips said...

Very good, Sue Ann.