Thursday, September 20, 2012

Blast Off Into The Future

by Alan

If you could pop into and live in the life and times of any book, which would it be?

The idea of living in the past doesn’t excite me. I’m too big a fan of modern life: indoor plumbing, Monday Night Football, candy corn Oreos, DVRs, calculators, Shark Tank, hi-tech running shoes, electricity, community trash collection, 10-gallon kegs of mayo at warehouse stores, Skype, Neil Armstrong, women in the workforce, microwave ovens, democracy, Teflon, refrigeration, Popeil’s pocket fisherman, laminating machines, graphite shafts, fluoridated water, blood pressure machines at the grocery store, and Velcro (although I could do without Internet memes).

Conversely, there are some things in the past I wouldn’t want to encounter: slavery, smallpox, medical leeches, and washing my clothes on the side of a riverbank using heavy rocks (of course, maybe that’s just me).

Besides, I’m looking for some excitement, and I’ve already lived much of my life in the past. Been there, done that. So, onward to the future!!

Some possible book “worlds” I might like to inhabit:

meandthecatPlanet of the Apes (Pierre Boulle) – Hey, who doesn’t like talking monkeys! But…slavery.

Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton) – Dinosaurs! But…angry, hungry dinosaurs.

The Cat in the Hat (Dr. Seuss) – Rhyming hijinks! But…who’s going to clean up that mess, if something happens to the Cat?

Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling) – Boy wizards! But…I don’t think I could hold my butterbeer very well.

All interesting places. However, I think I’d really like to live in the world created by Orson Scott Card in Ender’s Game.

It’s set in the future. There’s space travel and things exploding and life-or-death military battles. There are aliens called Buggers. And the fate of the world is up for grabs.

That sounds pretty exciting to me! Where do I enlist?

1 comment:

Meredith Cole said...

I had no idea you hobnobbed with celebrities, Alan!

I'm really enjoying hearing about everyone's favorite worlds this week...