Friday, December 21, 2012

Naughty... Or Nice?

It's so interesting to contemplate the question of good and bad characters the week before Christmas. I always thought Santa was a pretty forgiving guy. I mean, one year you might be on the list destined for coal in your stocking, but next year--who knows? It's never permanent. At least that's not what I heard...

When I write a new book, it takes me a while to get to know characters. They might be good or bad people, but I don't know. They haven't run over my foot with their grocery cart or given me a bit box of Godiva chocolates--yet. So they have the potential to switch around. But once I know them better, it's hard for me to imagine them doing something out of character.

I've been working on a book lately where the main character is a thief, but is a Robin Hood-type. And the "good guys" trying to track the thief down may not have very good intentions. So yes, I like thinking about moral ambiguities and I enjoy writing characters with the potential to change. It's also important to me that characters go through some kind of transformation in my books, even if it's not going to the dark side or finding redemption.

I have to admit I've had a hard time writing this week. The tragedy in Connecticut and the coming holidays have all distracted and obsessed me in very different ways. I tried to sit down and write but I had to stop when I came to the  description of a character pulling out a gun. It all seemed to horrible and fresh. I had to step away from my computer and concentrate on spending time with loved ones (hugging my child extra close), making cookies and getting ready for the holidays.


I hope everyone has a happy holiday filled with peace, love and joy! See you next year.



4 comments:

Reece said...

The new book sounds intriguing, and I hope the writing goes swimmingly in the new year. Happy Holidays, Meredith!

Laura U said...

How strange when both your hobbies intersect. I love mysteries and I am also a costumer. That photo of Santa is Santa Carlucci, a MN Santa, and he is wearing the coat I made him. How funny to find it here!

Meredith Cole said...

Wow! Thanks for stopping by Laura. Love that photo--probably because of his cool coat (but I admit that I noticed the reindeer first).

Meredith Cole said...

Thanks Reece! I hope to get back to the writing soon (just as soon as I wrap all these presents...) Have a great holiday!