Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My choice for best book of the year



By Vicki Delany

This week's question is: What existing book do you wish you could have written?
Product Details
The Da Vinci Code.

‘Cause then I’d be super rich.

But if you mean in terms of quality….

There are plenty of wonderful books out there that when I’m reading them I think (sadly) that I might as well give up writing right now, because I can never be this good.

If I have to pick one, I’ll go with my choice for last year’s favourite: The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.
Beautifully written, excellently plotted, with twists so subtle you don’t really even realize something is amiss, until it is.  A wonderful story of an Englishwoman with secrets dating back to WWII and her daughter’s attempts to uncover them.
Exactly the sort of book I love!


I also loved The House at Riverton, The Forgotten Garden and The Distant Hours, all by Kate Morton. 


As you know, as well as other things, I write Gothic Thrillers (Burden of Memory, More than Sorrow).  I love those books, but I really really, wish I'd written The Secret Keeper. 

Product Details

2 comments:

Catriona McPherson said...

I haven't read Kate Morton yet- got close a couple of times and shied away for some reason, but I think I'll give her a go now. Hurrah! Just what we need, eh? Some books to plan to read ...

Meredith Cole said...

I'm adding it to my TBR pile, too! Thanks for the recommendation, Vicki.