Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Get out those torches and pitchforks!

By Vicki Delany

Say a capricious dictator banned your corner of the genre (or even – gasp – the mystery genre altogether). What would you be writing instead?

Curse you, capricious dictator.  You’ve left me with nothing much to write.

While I’m waiting for revolution to ferment, I’ll have to spend some time thinking about this.

You see, my corner of the crime genre would make a rather oddly shaped house. Because I live in a lot of corners.  

I write traditional police procedurals novels in the Constable Molly Smith series; humorous historicals in the Klondike Gold Rush Series, and contemporary gothic thrillers in my standalone novels.

I like playing around with different styles of writing.  I am in a completely different headset with the Klondike Books, a bit of a mad-cap romp thought the muddy streets of Dawson City, Yukon in 1898, than I am with a brain injured war correspondent in More than Sorrow or a young cop in small town British Columbia . 

And that, to me, is what makes writing fun and interesting. No book is ever the same.

So, if my many sub-genres were banned (to the barricades, citizens!) I might like to try my hand at steampunk.  I love the costumes, at any rate.



Speaking of the Constable Molly Smith books, the sixth in the series, A COLD WHITE SUN, will be released on Aug 6. Hardcover and trade paperback copies are available now for preorder from the usual online sources, as well as your favourite local bookseller.  All electronic formats should be available as of release day.  Click here to read a bit about the book, and here to go to Amazon.com. 

1 comment:

Meredith Cole said...

Love your description of the genre as a house with a "lot of corners," Vicki. So true. And it's so much easier to survive the "trends" when you're not stuck writing in one particular sub-genre.