Wednesday, July 17, 2013


Me… On Ice.

 
 

by Clare O'Donohue

This my first Criminal Minds question, and it’s a toughie. I'm so excited to be a part of this great group and I want to contribute something to the conversation. So I gave this a lot of thought and struggled with who to pick. Obviously, every fictional detective would solve the case, since that’s what fictional detectives do. Columbo knocked holes in even the tightest alibis. Miss Marple found the answer to countless crimes without once spilling her tea. And Sherlock Holmes could see a spec of dirt and tell you not only who the killer was, but when he last got a haircut.

So if I’m dead (and this is no small issue to me despite my treating it lightly), I’m assuming that even a rookie fictional detective or amateur sleuth would track down my killer in no time. I’m not worried.

So really, who would I have the most fun ghost-watching as they followed the clues? I'd want more than a keen eye, I'd want charm, humor, and maybe even a little romance. After all, it's my last detective story.
 
I’ve got to go with Nick and Nora Charles on this. Though The Thin Man was their only actual outing in literature, it was a lot of fun. They dressed beautifully, went out to all the best parties, had money to burn, and solved the entire case half in the bag. There's nothing quite like the site of a man in a tuxedo mixing a martini, while being shot at. It's so elegant. Especially when he's solving a murder.
 
And not just any murder. My murder. Thinking about that makes me want a cocktail. Which, luckily, Nick and Nora can provide.
 
 
 
 

13 comments:

Catriona McPherson said...

Welcome, Claire! Great to have you.

Karen in Ohio said...

Well done, Clare!

Now I need to find The Thin Man. Can't believe I've never seen it.

(This Scissors sister Karen, by the way.)

Alan Orloff said...

Welcome to the blog, sistah! Somehow, I knew alcohol would be involved!

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Welcome, Clare! The only problem with your choice is: How can you enjoy a martini if you're dead? When you find out, please let me know. I'd be totally on board with that.

Vicki Delany said...

Welcome, Claire. A cool martini would be nice right about now.

Dru said...

Hi Clare,

Nick and Nora are my favorite detective duo.

Meredith Cole said...

Welcome Clare! I recently rewatched The Thin Man, and I couldn't believe how much they drank... And still were able to solve crimes. Amazing talent!

Clare O'Donohue said...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! When I read The Thing Man I was stunned by how much they drank... Chase a suspect? Have a drink. Get shot? Have a drink. Had a drink? Have another one. Crazy, but fun! As someone who has a two drink maximum, I envy their stamina. And Sue, I have no idea how I'd enjoy the cocktail. I can picture Asta drinking it for me. ('Cause you know that dog joined in!)

Clare ODonohue said...

Whoops! The Thin Man!! Ha!

Lori said...

They're my favorites, too!

lil Gluckstern said...

It's nice to see you here. When I saw The Thin Man, I wondered how they were even standing up let alone solving a crime, given how they drank.

Robin Spano said...

Love it. Very well-reasoned and I like your snazzy style. Welcome to the blog.

Reece said...

Welcome, Clare! I would say that Nick and Nora drank an outrageous amount, but I've just returned from ThrillerFest, so it doesn't seem that excessive.