Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Cold White Sun

What are you reading now? What have you read recently that you’d recommend?

By Vicki Delany

Funny you should ask that.  I’m reading bits and pieces of A COLD WHITE SUN by Vicki Delany.

Today is release day for the 6th Constable Molly Smith book.  I’m looking at it (more than actually reading) on my e-reader.  I want to make sure that the formatting is okay.


When I got the electronic ARCs for the book way back in March, I almost fell off my chair. The formatting was all wrong, and many of the paragraphs were running together.   In come some cases you couldn't tell who was speaking or who was doing what.

I was Africa at the time, and sent a frantic e-mail to my daughter to open the box of ARCs and check.
Same problem.

Poisoned Pen Press fixed that ASAP, the ARCs were reprinted and new ones sent out.  All good.

I got my author copies of the book a few weeks ago, flipped through one to make sure it was all as it was supposed to be.  And then yesterday I bought a version for my Kindle. Another check.

My career was in the computer industry.  Test and test. And then test again.

After a break of two years while I wrote a standalone, MORE THAN SORROW,  Constable Molly Smith and Sergeant John Winters and their friends and families (and enemies) in Trafalgar, B.C. are back.

It’s the end of March and Trafalgar, British Columbia is preparing for the last influx of skiers for the season.  Schools are closed for a week:  teachers, parents, and students are preparing to relax at home or head off on vacation.

But for Cathy Lindsay, the week of relaxation doesn’t work out as planned when she’s gunned down by a sniper on the hiking trail high above town, her small dog the only witness.
Cathy Lindsay: middle-age, middle-class, small town resident, high school English teacher, married mother of two. 

An unlikely candidate for a murderous ambush.  As Sergeant John Winters begins his investigation he finds himself frustrated at every turn.  Why would anyone want to kill Cathy? She was a respected teacher, in an apparently solid marriage to an Internet developer, living a quiet life. 

Winters, with the help of young Constable Molly Smith, digs deep into the Lindsay marriage and friendships, searching for a motive, but one thought continually niggles at the back of his mind:  Is it possible this was a random killing or a case of mistaken identity?  

And if so, who in the small, close-knit community might be next?

Meanwhile, on the double black diamond runs of the Blue Sky resort, Molly Smith meets a handsome, charming man, as good as skier as she is, and she realizes it’s time to make some serious decisions about the direction of her  life – both personal and professional. 

NYT Bestselling author Julia Spencer-Fleming said, "6th in her critically acclaimed Constable Molly Smith series, A COLD WHITE SUN places Vicki Delany's marvelous storytelling on full display.  Delany's formidable Canadian sleuth, Molly Smith, pits her skills against an ice-cold killer, just as her personal life heats up.  I love this series!"


Uber-Librarian Lesa Holstein called the book, “Terriffic” and said, “these are books that should be better known than they are” (http://lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.ca/2013/08/a-cold-white-sun-by-vicki-delany.html)


What else am I reading?  I’ll  let you know in two weeks. 

3 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

Congrats on your new book, Vicki!

Vicki Delany said...

Thanks, Meredith. It's my 13th book, and almost as exciting as the first.

Vicki Delany said...

I meant the experience is almost as exciting, not the book.