Monday, September 9, 2013

The Longish Goodbye




By Reece Hirsch

When Kelli Stanley invited me to join Criminal Minds in late 2010, I was honored to join such a great bunch of writers.  Two and a half years later, many of the writers have changed, but I’m still just as honored to be part of such a talented, funny, insightful bunch.  However, I regret to say that I’ve come to the end of my run.  This is my last post at Criminal Minds (as a regular, anyway).

I’m writing a book under deadline for the first time while working full-time as an attorney and I just don’t think I can do justice to my blogging obligations here.   Thanks to Meredith, Robin, Vicki, Clare, Tracy, Catriona, Alan, Sue Ann and Gary for being such good company.  I’d also like thank the Criminal Minds Emeritus, including Kelli Stanley, Rebecca Cantrell, Michael Wiley, Joshua Corin, Shane Gericke, Hilary Davidson, Chris F. Holm and Stephen Blackmoore.  If we ever get the band back together at a Bouchercon or ThrillerFest, I’d like to buy you all a round of drinks.

Looking back on my tenure at Criminal Minds, I went back to the archives and selected these as my most silly, inane, least socially redeeming posts (and there were many to choose from):

  1. The Hulk grapples with the Proust Questionnaire (“You wouldn’t like me when I’m Ang Lee”): Proust vs. Hulk.
  1. When the weekly assignment was to write poetry, I penned my tribute in verse to Omar Little of “The Wire”.  Because, you know, man’s gotta have a code: Ballad of Omar Little.
  1. I read a New York Times Magazine article about the making of “There Will Be Blood” and learned that Paul Dano was called to Texas at the last minute to replace another actor and go head-to-head with the Method madness of Daniel Day Lewis.  I imagined what that might have been like in "There Will Be Milkshake".  (Note to other bloggers:  this is still one of my most-viewed posts, but only because it has an often-searched catch-phrase in the headline.  Try it, I think you'll be pleased with the results.)
  1. The 10 Things Heard in the Bar at Bouchercon, which was written during a year when I wasn’t actually able to make it to B’con, but was wishing I was there.
It’s been fun, and I will definitely be back to visit.

10 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

You will be missed, Reece! I had forgotten all about your Proust vs. Hulk questionnaire -- hilarious!

Good luck with your next book and all your other deadlines...

Reece said...

Thanks, Meredith. It's been great sharing Mondays with you!

Robin Spano said...

Look forward to meeting you one day. In real life and in your books. And feel free to get in touch for a guest post anytime. I will happily give you my Tuesday when you're on tour with your next release.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

I'm missing you already, Reece. Wishing you great success with your books and those pesky deadlines.

Reece said...

Same here, Robin, and thanks for the offer. I would definitely love to return when the next book is out.

Reece said...

I'll miss you, too, Sue Ann. And, when I look at your productivity, I feel like a whiner saying anything about deadlines!

lil Gluckstern said...

I will miss your posts because they are so amusing, and yet very insightful and informative. I look forward to your next book. Good luck!

Reece said...

Thanks, Lil! I've always appreciated your comments over the years. Mystery writer Susan Shea will be taking my spot in two weeks and I think you're really going to enjoy her posts.

Clare ODonohue said...

Hi Reece - It was great being with you in this group, if only for a short time. Hopefully I'll run into you at the bar at Bouchercon one of these days! Clare

Reece said...

Thanks, Clare! And I meant it about that offer to buy drinks at Bouchercon!