Wednesday, October 9, 2013

DIFFICULT TO LIVE WITH?

by Clare O'Donohue

The question for this week - are writers (and me specifically) difficult to live with?

Not if you mind someone staring into space at dinner, laughing to herself at she types on the computer keyboard, or turning down dinner invitations because (and yes, I said this) "I've been with people all day."  Those people were imaginary and part of my Someday Quilts Mysteries, but - in my defense - I'd written nearly 20 pages that day, so I'd been hearing dialog in my head for hours.

I feel sometimes, when the book is flowing, that I live with one foot in two worlds - my own, and the world of my characters. If they are unhappy, in love, scared, or puzzled, a part of me is too. Sometimes a big part. It can make for interesting conversations, such as:

Me: There was an explosion. I think people were seriously hurt.
Him: (slightly alarmed but justifiably suspicious) Where?
Me: In Archers Rest. (my fictional town)
Him: (relieved and annoyed) Oh. There.
Me: People were hurt..... or maybe killed.... or maybe not.
Him walking away.

I understand that it gets a little crowded to have a bunch of imaginary people around... but fun. Just ask my near and dear. (Or don't, they have a tendency to roll their eyes and walk away)


5 comments:

Robin Spano said...

LOL. So true.

Susan C Shea said...

That's on a good day. The rest of the time, I can be heard grousing to the computer screen, "Okay, someone. speak to me. Hello, is anyone there?"

Clare ODonohue said...

Susan - yes, me too. Those are the days I download movies and pretend I'm working.

Dru said...

Do you find yourself answering the characters?

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Clare, I can so relate!! I once had a friend say to me over lunch after listening to me babble about my current WIP, "You DO KNOW that these aren't REAL people, don't you?"