Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Me....

by Clare O'Donohue

I decided we should take this free-for-all December to get to know each other better. Here's 10 things about me. Tell me something about you I might not know....

1. I meditate every day.

2. I just finished listening to "Lost" by Chris Young (and sang along- badly)

3. I order more courses from The Great Courses then I can possibly watch in this lifetime. My latest purchase is "How to Look At and Understand Great Art." I've downloaded classes on cooking, physics, music appreciation, ancient history... I'm a sucker for easy-to-digest learning.

4. If I could play a musical instrument, it would be the violin aka the fiddle. I just like how it sounds and how versatile it is, and that - unlike a piano - you can take it with you easily, and  - unlike a guitar - it isn't the preferred instrument of every lonely teenage male in America. Sadly, I have a tin ear when it comes to music.

5. I plan trips I don't take. I love to travel but I travel so much for work that it's hard to find the time or money just to vacation. Sometimes I end up making a list of cool sights in places like Stockholm or Santiago but never actually get there. That changes in 2014.

6. My favorite TV shows are all over the place - Justified, Suits, The Middle. I already miss Breaking Bad, can't wait for the final season of Mad Men. The Sons of Anarchy season finale blew me away.

7. I've had a life long crush on Dean Martin. This is so well known among my loved ones that on the night he died, I received several condolence calls.

8. My major in college was International Studies with a minor in Economics.

9. My favorite meal is a diner breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes and toast. Throw in some hot tea and an Irish sausage and I'm in heaven.

10. Favorite Christmas movie? It's a tie between Bing Crosby's White Christmas and Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck & Dennis Morgan.


Okay... your turn.











8 comments:

Robin Spano said...

Awesome! I love getting to know people through random quirky facts about their daily lives.

Clare ODonohue said...

Thanks Robin!

Catriona McPherson said...

I love Christmas in CT! I've paused it trying to draw a floorplan of the house. Okay - that can be my fact about me - I draw floorplans of fictional houses. I can do the Odd Couple apartment from memory. And the castle from I Capture The Castle. This - in case you're wondering - is not weird.

Susan C Shea said...

I'm with you on Great Courses (Iliad and Odyssey at the moment, Alexis de Toqueville, science, history, and other lit waiting or finished), Christmas in Connecticut, and Justified. I'd like to be able to sing but my sister got all those genes. I haven't skied in years, but loved it. We Criminals should really get together in the flesh, don't you think?

Lisa Alber said...

This is great, Clare!

I was an Economics major with a minor in international trade relations. :-)

I've had a lifelong crush on Elvis Presley.

I love diner breakfasts! Don't get them greasy enough here in Portland though -- not like in NYC.

Robin Spano said...

LOL, Lisa, that's one thing I DO love about the west coast vs. east coast. Way less grease in restaurant meals. (Less flavour too sometimes, but I can always add hot sauce.)

Barry Knister said...

For reasons of national security, I can't provide a complete response. But:
--I never meditate. It makes me nervous.
--I am lost enough without listening to songs about it.
--I have done the world a huge favor by not taking up a musical instrument.
--I don't have favorite TV shows. I just watch TV. Think in terms of the clock you put in a puppy's box.
--I don't know what my favorite Christmas movie is. I only know "It's a Wonderful Life" is banned from our house--excuse me, it's the holiday season, so I should say our home.
Happy Holidays!

Clare ODonohue said...

Catriona - Love that you draw floor plans! It's a great house, a great movie (and Dennis Morgan is a cutie!) And Susan - We should - LeftCoast? Malice? Bouchercon? Lisa - We should trade international economics stories sometime (okay...I don't have any... so Elvis stories). And Barry, I get it It's A Wonderful Life makes you cry too much. Understandable.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year everyone!!