Monday, March 31, 2014

A Wordless Day

If you lost the ability to write or read for a day, what would you do?
by Meredith Cole

I do not think a day has gone by when I haven't written something (even if it was just a to-do list or an email) or read something. Not having something to good to read has thrown me into a teensy bit of a panic before (What will I do if I have to stand in line? How will I manage to go to sleep?). Sadly I have managed to go many days without doing any productive writing. But I think I find this question intriguing because when I'm overly obsessed with word counts and/or my TBR pile, often what I really need is a break from the page.

Here are three things I would do on my wordless day:

1) Garden
Since leaving New York City, I have become a rather obsessive gardener. Getting outside and digging in the dirt is such a great change from sitting in front of a computer. I have come to the conclusion that there will never be enough bulbs/flowers/shrubs/fruit in my yard--so I keep adding more! And when I'm not planting something, I walk around weeding, trimming, mulching and admiring all the plants.

Just added this fall: loads of perennials, more roses and a strawberry patch.

2) Spending time with a friend or family member

Too often I keep in touch via quick emails or texts or Facebook posts, and I forget to make the time to sit down and really talk to friends and family. I have friends spread all over the globe, but even for the ones close at hand we're always juggling busy schedules. It's such a different experience to speak face to face, and I always mean to do it more often...

3) Swimming/Running/Dancing/Hiking...

I'm so much happier when my day includes a swim or a run, a dance or yoga class--or even just a walk. Without it, I feel so much less centered and content. I hate when work/writing/teaching, etc., makes it impossible for me to squeeze in some exercise, so I would use my time not reading a book to make sure I squeezed in a little more in my day.

So what would you do on your wordless day?

4 comments:

Dana King said...

Spend time with my wife and/or daughter, if they're available. Take a walk, weather permitting. If all else fails, there are movies I want to see. If all all else fails, this is why we have televised sports.

Robin Spano said...

Those are great answers. And it's true. All three of those things--gardening, socializing, and exercise--provide excellent balance in a writing life. As long as you only lose your reading/writing ability for one day, you should be set!

Susan C Shea said...

I'm afraid I have those without any reason other than distraction. Today's one. so many other little things I can do rather than write. So, my answer is 1)make vet appointment 2) return friend's call re lunch 3) clean bathrooms 4) check Facebook every hour 5) play with cats 6)...

Meredith Cole said...

Thanks to everyone for stopping by and commenting! I'm away on vacation (reading but not writing) and have stepped away from the computer this week. It's nice to take a break, but I know I'll be anxious to get back to my writing when I return!