Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Bond. Ava Bond


This week's question: If you could merge two fictional detectives, who would your dream mash-up be?

My answer:
I'm in love with Ava Lee, the creation of Ian Hamilton who has taken Canada by storm and will soon do the same in the US. She's polite, empathetic, fiercely loyal to her friends and family, and a brilliant forensic accountant. But if you violate her moral code by, say, embezzling millions of dollars, she'll gladly kick your ass with bak mei, the martial art she has literally mastered. Her cases span the globe, from Canada to Europe to Asia. She's a lesbian Chinese Canadian whose residential home is Toronto and work home is Hong Kong.

She can be a bit of a prude though. She has fun when she lets loose, but that's not often enough. So I'd like to mash her up with James Bond.

Mashed up, Ava Bond or James Lee would of course love women. In my mash-up, this new lead is a female, but I think instead of gay I'll make her bisexual. More opportunity for scandalous fun. So instead of going home to “make love” like Ava Lee does, Ava Bond would use sex to open doors like James Bond does. She'd find beautiful men and women to connect with all over the globe. Some would live and some would die. She'd extract herself from harrowing situations with twice the alacrity, since we'd be doubling up his and her powers. And she'd give the bad guy the poetic justice that both of those lead characters always do, to such delicious reader satisfaction.


OK I know what I'm writing next now. Thanks to whoever asked this question!

6 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

Robin, Ava Bond/James Lee sounds like a pretty cool and interesting character. And definitely someone to stay away from if you're on the wrong side of the law.

Meredith Cole said...

Sounds like a great character, Robin! After all, why should the guys to get to have all the fun?

Clare ODonohue said...

I had not heard of Ava before.... another new character to love. Thanks Robin!

Susan C Shea said...

Wow, this Ava Bond sounds like one tough cookie! Good mash-up idea although, like Clare, I hadn't hears of Ava Lee.

RJ Harlick said...

Intriguing combination, Robin. Sounds like the start of a new series....:)

Robin Spano said...

Thanks guys. Ava Lee has just debuted in the States, so it makes sense not to have heard of her yet. She's a smash hit in Canada already--topping our bestseller charts for the past few years. Really highly recommend picking one up.

And RJ - I think you're onto something. At the end of Death's Last Run, I left Clare about to go in for intensive CIA training. I'm taking a break from the series while I write a thriller and Clare picks up some new skills. But I think when she's back, I'll take inspiration from Ava Bond here.