Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Day Off

by Tracy Kiely

I just turned in the draft for my latest mystery, Murder With A Twist.  The book is the first in a new series that I am writing for Midnight Ink. Based in part on Dashiell Hammett’s classic The Thin Man, it features a young married couple, Nic and Nigel Martini, who are not unlike Nick and Nora Charles. However, in my book Nic(ole) is the ex-detective and Nigel is the wealthy jetsetter. Rather than a wire fox terrier, the pair owns a bullmastiff named Skippy. (For you Thin Man fans, the dog that played Asta was actually named Skippy).
While I had a lot of fun writing the book, it was a very hectic couple of months. My oldest was applying for college and needed some help with his essays. (At 11.30 one night he came downstairs and asked for help on an essay entitled, The Best Advice I’ve Ever Received. The essay was due at midnight. My suggestion of “Don’t Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Do Today was met with stony silence.) Then about a month out from my deadline my computer decided to eat about two week’s of work. Just eat it all. That was the week my children learned some choice new words. Anyway, I begged (and was granted an extension) and spent the next several weeks glued to my computer frantically hoping to hit my deadline.
I am happy to say that I did.
However, I have to be honest. The idea of NOT writing or reading anything for a day fills me with joy. I am burnt out. I am tired. I may need reading glasses, and I definitely need to convince my youngest that I said, “rotten piece of SHIP” and not something different.
I love the idea of drinking tea all day and watching old movies. Hitchcock would be nice. Anything with Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Audrey Hepburn would be lovely. Now that it seems to have finally stopped snowing, I could take a walk. I could meet a friend for lunch (they could read the menu for me, depending on how strict we are about the rules of “not reading”).
I would definitely take a nap.

This may sound very bad for a writer to admit, but honestly, can I have two days?

2 comments:

RJ Harlick said...

Sounds like you might need 3. Enjoy your peace.

Susan C Shea said...

Yes, you may. (Smile.) Make it a week and consider jazzing it up with a really good bottle of wine. Really, why do we take literally the 'write every day' mantra. It means 'don't be someone who could have written a book if she wanted to," but, SHIP, a day off isn't going to kill your writer cred!