Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Top 5 Writing and Inspiration Locales


This week's question: Where does the writing muse strike you?
My answer: A Top 10 list. Why not? OK actually it's two Top 5 lists.

TOP 5 PLACES TO WRITE
  1. Mornings at home alone, looking out the window
  2. Airport waiting lounges
  3. Coffee shops as long as (a) there's good coffee and (b) I'm not seated next to a narcissist who talks too loud
  4. Planes and trains in motion
  5. Hotel bars (only through the first glass of wine, then my brain is mush)

Key ingredients: stimulation and the luxury of solitary thought. (i.e., people and traffic are ok as long as they don't demand my focused attention)

TOP 5 PLACES TO GET INSPIRED/UNBLOCKED
  1. Boating
  2. Driving
  3. Elliptical
  4. Hiking
  5. Snowboarding
Key ingredients: action—a job that wakes up the physical part of my brain without putting pressure on it intellectually. (I would add housework but I'd be lying.)

4 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

Robin, you seem to be much better able to focus than I am, which is great. I get too distracted by all the hustle and bustle around me. When I lived in the city (LA proper) I would put on music as a sort of "white noise" to block out everyone else's noise.

Meredith Cole said...

Great post, Robin! I used to find writing at home especially difficult when my child was small so coffee shops were awesome. II don't mind other people's noise (as long as it's not noise I have to do anything about...)

I also find hiking/walking great for getting inspired.

Susan C Shea said...

I have a real office in which to write now, but that only works when the desk isn't covered by distracting pieces of paper that have nothing to do with the story. Which it is now. Which is what I pledge to do today - clear it off!

RJ Harlick said...

I'm impressed. I'm afraid I'm like Paul and need peace and quiet to set the muse in motion.