Thursday, July 10, 2014

Up, Up, and Away

by Alan

It's summertime and everyone's downing tools and heading for the hammock (if only). Do you take regular vacations from writing and if so do you enjoy them?

SPOILER ALERT: This blog post will have nothing to do with writing and everything to do with vacations. Specifically, mine.

Now, did somebody mention vacation?

I just got back from a week in the Denver area, visiting my older son who has a summer internship at a medical center there.

We had a swell time.

We went to the Denver Botanic Gardens, and saw some very cool blown glass from somebody named Chihully.

We saw comedian Joe Zimmerman at the Comedy Works (funny!).

We ascended Pike’s Peak, all 14,110 feet of it. (We didn’t hike it, but drove a rental Ford Focus. Which, I think, was more strenuous than hiking.)DSCF2661

We saw some animals we don’t usually run across (and we avoided running across them in our rental car): marmots, prairie dogs, black-billed magpies.

We visited Colorado Springs and toured the Air Force Academy and the Garden of the Gods.

DSCF2643 DSCF2632

 

DSCF2652

 

We visited Golden and toured the Coors Brewery and saw Red Rocks.

DSCF2671

We visited Boulder and toured the CU-Boulder campus and the Celestial Seasonings manufacturing facility (yes, I love factories!).

We drove up and down Colfax Avenue, which made me appreciate where I live very much.

And we did not stop for any hitchhikers!

correctional facility sign

A good time was had by all!

5 comments:

Art Taylor said...

I enjoyed this! Not as much as being there myself, of course, but.....

Debbi said...

Nice post! Colorado is a great summer vacation place.

RJ Harlick said...

I'm envious. I fell in love with Colorado's mountains when I was in Colorado Springs at LCC last year. Great photos, Alan. It looks like you had a fab time.

Catriona McPherson said...

You are mistaken, Alan. This is a bout writing. Your protag is a comic, therefore the comedy gig and the travel to and from it are tax-deductible research expenses. Not sure about Celestial Seasonings . . .

Alan Orloff said...

I like how you think Catriona. I wonder if the IRS auditors would concur.