Monday, August 4, 2014

Taking the bad with the good

by Meredith Cole

Bad writing? Moi? Well, I firmly believe that no writer should ever be afraid or ashamed of terrible writing. Writing terribly is how we all learn and grow. No one ever sat down and wrote something brilliant on their first try. Really. And I’ve never heard of any true writing protégés (kids who sat down and wrote some classic) like I have heard of music protégés (Mozart, for instance). I think that’s because writing takes both skill and maturity. Not only do you need to learn all the grammar rules, but you also have to develop a wide vocabulary and come up with great ideas. Altogether it’s a lot to imagine that one kid can do at age five without some help.

Anyway, here’s a video of me reading last week at “Noir at the Bar” in DC. I’m reading from a new story called “The End of the Trail.” It was delightful to hang out with other Criminal Minds, Alan Orloff and Art Taylor! 


3 comments:

RJ Harlick said...

Terrific story, Meredith.

Susan C Shea said...

High fives for your night of Noir!

Meredith Cole said...

Sorry I was so tardy getting up my post! No skunk in a bottle like RJ, just a trip to a WiFi-free mountain cabin...