Monday, September 15, 2014

A few of my favorite things about writing

The SinC Blog hop continues on 7 Criminal Minds! Instead of answering our question of the week, I'm going to answer a Sisters in Crime blog hop question.

What's the best part of the writing process for you? What's the most challenging?

If you were to ask anyone who is not a writer what they think is our favorite part of the writing process they would probably say "getting published." Although getting published is nice, if is definitely not my favorite part. In fact, if that was my favorite part I would probably have given up a long time ago (like at age 15). Getting published usually happens when I have already shifted my attention to my next book, and so my book in published form seems a little unfamiliar--like something I've read before but don't really feel very close to anymore.

The best part of the writing process is usually the one that I am not doing at this very moment. When I'm in first draft mode, I think, "I can't wait to edit this book! That will be so much easier." When I'm in editing mode, I think, "if only I were in first draft mode! I could write whatever I wanted instead of dealing with this huge first draft mess..."

Really the best part of writing is the times when I'm in "the zone." I have a million ideas for how to make my book better or I know exactly what is going to happen next and I can't type it fast enough. At those moments, I feel talented, creative and productive. I know that being a writer is what I was meant to do.

If you're looking for inspiration for the writing journey, look no further than the new Sisters in Crime anthology WRITES OF PASSAGE! Edited by Hank Phillipi Ryan, contributors include Laurie King, Margaret Maron, Nancy Martin--and from our very own Criminal Minds Catriona McPherson, Clare O'Donohue and me!


And I tag Art Taylor to continue the SinC Blog hop!

6 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

Love what you say, Meredith, about your favorite part of writing being the part you're *not* doing at the moment. But as you say, it's when you can get in the zone that it all really comes together. Good one.

Meredith Cole said...

Thanks Paul! Wish the "zone" (or is it the muse?) came a little more often, but I'll take what I can get!

Robin Spano said...

Ha ha ha. It's true. The grass is always greener on the other side of our own damn job! Love your post today.

RJ Harlick said...

Couldn't agree more. Great post, Meredith.

Meredith Cole said...

Thanks Robin and RJ! Can you tell I'm in the middle of editing my book?!

Susan C Shea said...

Oh, yes, you nailed it!