Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Blog Hop Invasion


A Sisters in Crime blog hop has invaded 7 Criminal Minds. Catriona McPherson brought the virus in, RJ Harlick caught it, then passed it to me. Now it's my turn hijack our weekly question. To participate, I have to:

(a) ignore our regularly scheduled weekly question
(b) choose a question from the list below & answer it here today
(b) tag another Criminal Mind to take the next turn

The Question Choices:

1. Which authors have inspired you?
2. Which male authors write great women characters?
3. If someone said, "Nothing against women writers, but all of my favorite crime fiction authors happen to be men," how would you respond?
4. What's the best part of the writing process for you? What's the most challenging?
5. Do you listen to music while writing? What's on your playlist?
6. What books are on your nightstand right now?
7. If you were to mentor a new writer, what would you tell her about the writing business? 

Catriona tackled 3 and cracked me up, RJ took on 4 and gave me lots of food for thought. I choose 6. What books are on your nightstand right now?

While it was tempting to go grab a bunch of friends' books and strategically place them, I opted for random honesty on this one. I have started some but finished none of the books on my bedside table. They're here because they're the books I'm most excited to read right now.

From top to bottom, I have:
Heinrich Boll's Group Portrait With Ladyloaned to me by a family friend who thinks that if I read this, it could improve my writing to make it more to his liking

An instructional DVD called “Yamuna Foot Fitness” about how to use foot wakers effectively

5000 Dead Ducks, by CD Evans and LM Shyba – loaned to me by a friend after she read Dead Politician Society and said it reminded her of this satire she'd read about “lust and revolution in the Alberta oil sands.”

So Long, Mariannea biography of Marianne Ihlen, the muse behind the Leonard Cohen song. I bought this book for two terrible reasons: I love the song and I love the cover. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson – I've heard it's great and want to read it.

Open Secret by Deryn Collier – I got about halfway through this gripping mystery before I got called away to read books to blurb with deadlines. I'm very excited to get back into this book when I can.

The Blondes by Emily Schultz – A thriller about evil blondes in New York City. And maybe they take over the world; I'm not sure. I already love Emily's writing so I know I'm going to love this when its READ NOW turn comes up.

Murder One by Robert Dugoni – Friends keep recommending Robert Dugoni. Eventually I'll give him a try.


Who's next in this blog hop?

Now I tag Meredith Cole  the coolest person I've never met in real life, and one more writer whose work intrigues me and I have yet to read it  to take this ball and run with it.

4 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

Interesting list, Robin! It’s always interesting to see what people have on their shelves...or nightstands. One of the first things I do when I go to someone’s house is to see what books they have.

Love how your friend wants you to read Boll so you can “improve” your writing and make it more to his liking. Let us know how that turns out....

And I love Leonard Cohen, so So Long, Marianne sounds like a good read too.

Robin Spano said...

Ha ha, yeah, we'll see if I improve!

Meredith Cole said...

Awwww, Robin! Why haven't we met yet? We've got to change that soon...

BTW, you'll love Kate Atkinson's book! Just finished her newest "Life After Life." She's a wonderful writer...

Catriona McPherson said...

I love "opted for random honesty" - I wish the celebrities would do that for their summer reading choices too!