Wednesday, November 19, 2014

HOW TO READ


by Clare O'Donohue


Q: "Have you switched to reading mostly ebooks or do you still hanker for the feel of a bound book in your hands? How would you prefer to have your books published?"
 
Taking the 2nd question first, I don't care if people read my books on paper, as e-books, as audio books, as smoke signals, or have them performed as an interpretative dance. Whatever gets the story to the reader is fine with me.

But when I'm reading, I have a definite preference. I prefer books.

I understand the convenience of reading on a Kindle or Nook. I can only imagine the space it would free up in my suitcase when I travel. And, as I look over a pile of books I brought back from Bouchercon, I'm pretty sure switching to e-books would mean a lot more room in my house too. But I'm pretty stuck on printed books.

I like the soft ivory of the page behind the black ink. I like being able to easily see if I'm half way. I like the weight of a hardcover, and the feel of a paperback. I just like books.

Although if someone wants to perform for me an interpretative dance of Catriona McPherson's latest book, A Deadly Measure of Brimstone that would be fine too. (It's out now, so go and buy it!): http://catrionamcpherson.com/

6 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

I'm starting to wonder if anyone on this blog actually prefers reading ebooks...

Clare ODonohue said...

Ha! Maybe it's because we spend our days in front of a computer, so we prefer the real thing.

Mollie Cox Bryan said...

I used to really like ebooks, but I think it was the novelty. I am back to reading the real thing.

Susan C Shea said...

I have books piling up on my new kindle, but it's the paper books that call out to me seductively. and isn't Catriona's new cover delicious?

Clare ODonohue said...

Susan - It's a great cover!

Catriona McPherson said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Clare!