Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The answers.

Not an easy quiz, was it?  But I hope you managed to guess some of them correctly. Let us know how you did.

1.  "It was a solecism of the very worst kind.  He sneezed loudly, wetly and quite unforgivably into the woman’s face."
A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George
 
2.     “Mrs. Ferrars died on the night of the 16th-17th September, a Thursday. I was sent for at eight o’clock on the morning of Friday the 17th. There was nothing to be done. She had been dead some hours.”
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
 
3.     “The girl screamed once, only the once.
Even that, however, was a minor slip on his part.”
Knots & Crosses by Ian Rankin
 
4.     “The boy couldn’t see in the dark, but he didn’t need to. Experience and long practice told him it was good.”
The Black Echo by Michael Connelly
 
5.     “The night air was thick and damp. As I drove south along Lake Michigan, I could smell rotting alewives like a faint perfume on the heavy air.”
Indemnity Only by Sara Paretsky
 
6.     “In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the army.”
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
 
7.     “Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday. It was pretty much a surprise all round.”
Still Life by Louise Penny
 
8.     “The woman stepped into the circle of light and began to undress.”
Gallows View by Peter Robinson
 
9.     “”Bob Barnes says they got a dead body out on BLM land. He’s on line one.”
She might have knocked, but I didn’t hear it because I was watching the geese.”
A Cold Dish by Craig Johnson
 
10.  “It happened every year, was almost a ritual. And this was his eighty-second birthday.”
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

3 comments:

Catriona McPherson said...

Correction - I only got two! I thought Louise Penny was PD James. But I don't think either of them would mind.

Susan C Shea said...

If it hadn't been for the place or time hints in a few, I doubt that I would have scored more than one. and I had read one (Penny) recently and liked the line enough to remember it. Fun quiz, thanks!

RJ Harlick said...

Good for you, Susan. I knew it would be hard, but thought I would give people an opportunity to test their crime fiction IQ. The only one relatively easy was the Sherlock Holmes quote.