Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Can I Quote You?


Clare O'Donohue


No fair, Robin, with your ten quotes... But luckily, writers love to talk about writing, so here are a couple of my favorites...


At the beginning of a novel, a writer needs confidence, but after that what's required is persistence. These traits sound similar. They aren't. Confidence is what politicians, seducers, and currency speculators have, but persistence is a quality found in termites. It's the blind drive to keep on working that persists after confidence breaks down. - Walter Kirn

I try to remember this on the days when anything, everything, is more interesting to me than what is on the page.


When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature. - Ernest Hemingway

People are complicated, messy, contradictory, and frustrating. They are also really fun to write and read. The "real" people of reality shows are characters. The characters in Breaking Bad were people.
 
And, finally, this from James Bond...

The worst situation you can have in a thriller is a lead who looks like he can handle himself. - Daniel Craig.

Let's get this out of the way first - Daniel Craig looks like he could handle himself in any situation. (Cue sexy music) but fair point. One of the reasons I love his Bond is that he feels pain, physical and emotional. I keep this as a reminder that even when writing a smooth-talking, take no prisoners character, there should be some cracks in the armor to keep things interesting.
 

2 comments:

Robin Spano said...

These are great quotes, Clare! Both wise words and off the beaten path--I haven't heard any of them before.

Ha ha, I didn't throw up 10 to steal them from the group--in fact, by not elaborating on any of them, I thought they might be a list for later people in the week to pick one from and extrapolate like I could not.

I love your observation about the "characters" on the reality shows and the "people" in Breaking Bad.

Clare ODonohue said...

You had great quotes Robin! I love quotes about writing. They make me feel that whatever I'm struggling with, I can take comfort that others have struggled with it too.