Monday, April 6, 2015

Top 10 Quotes on Writing Fiction


Question of the Week: What's the best quote you've heard about writing and why do you like it?

My Answer: There are so many wise words from so many writers who have bravely gone before us. And since my favorite quotes on writing require no further interpretation, explanation, or extrapolation on my part, I'm going to list my top 10 and leave it at that.

1. “What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.”
J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

2. “There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.”
W. Somerset Maugham

3. “Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
Neil Gaiman

4. “I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I'm afraid of. ”
Joss Whedon

5. “We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

6. “Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.”
Ray Bradbury

7. “I am irritated by my own writing. I am like a violinist whose ear is true, but whose fingers refuse to reproduce precisely the sound he hears within.”
Gustave Flaubert

8. “If you can tell stories, create characters, devise incidents, and have sincerity and passion, it doesn’t matter a damn how you write.”
―Somerset Maugham

9. Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”
Pablo Picasso


10.
If you expect to succeed as a writer, rudeness should be the second-to-least of your concerns. The least of all should be polite society and what it expects. If you intend to write as truthfully as you can, your days as a member of polite society are numbered, anyway.”
Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

2 comments:

RJ Harlick said...

A terrific set of quotes, Robin. I particularly like Somerset Maugham's. It pretty much sums up my approach to writing.

Meredith Cole said...

Those are some of my favorites, too, Robin! Thanks for sharing them today (and a little bit early--all you Criminal Minds rock!)