Monday, May 11, 2015

Going strong to the finish line

What's easiest and hardest to write: action, description, dialogue, or something else?

by Meredith Cole

I feel like I've been writing my current book (The Hold-Up) forever, and at various times I've had trouble with action, description, dialogue, pacing, detail, story arc, character arc, etc. You name it, I've struggled with it.

I think the action and dialogue in my novel is in pretty good shape now, but I am still struggling with descriptions. Since my book is set in 1951, I am trying to provide enough details to ground the story without boring the reader with all the information I now know from my research. It's a real challenge.

I've been thinking a lot about when you know a book is finished and good enough. And in the middle of that thought on a walk I came upon this kid's drawing on the sidewalk. Finish. The finish line. The kid decided where the ending was and he drew a line and marked it.

I wish finishing the rewrites on a novel was that clear and easy. Sometimes it feels like the tinkering could go on forever and forever. So one of these days I'm going to have to mark a line and declare it "done."


No comments: