Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Wait? Where are We?

What is hardest to write: action, description, dialogue, or something else?
 by Tracy Kiely

I have to admit that I laughed when I read this, mainly because I tried to imagine anyone who really knew me asking me this question. I am what is politely referred to as a “talker.” A Conversation Hog, Chatty Cathy, Girl You Wish You Never Started A Conversation With At A Party.

Writing dialog is not a problem for me. I can yammer on about description for pages as well. My problem tends to be two-fold: coming to the point and writing action.  Sadly, it’s the same problem with my conversation; there’s lots of it, but not all of it is relevant. Or needed. Or, frankly, that interesting.

Action denotes purpose. A beginning, a middle, and an end. You have to know where you are going to write a good action scene. Now might be a good time to mention that I also have no sense of direction whatsoever. None. I’ve gotten lost in my hometown. If you start talking to me about heading east and then southwest, you might as well start talking to me in Mandarin.  In my defense, I inherited this affliction. My mother was the same way. She went to college in DC. Every time she had to drive anywhere in DC, she would have to first drive to her old college, and then go from there.  I went to the same college. Sadly, I can’t even do this. I’d like to say it was because I didn’t have a car, but I suspect that’s not the reason.

So, where was I?  Oh, yes. Action. Coming to the point.

 I think I just made my case as to which I have trouble writing.



2 comments:

Susan C Shea said...

Oh, Tracy, I'm with you. Dialogue is so much fun and I learn so much about my characters, and we're having such a good time and, as you say, oh, wait, there's supposed to be a point to all this! Good post and let's talk sometime...

Terry said...

Brilliant! I have a great sense of direction and no trouble getting to the point....and still, somehow, feel as if I know exactly what you mean.