Wednesday, August 12, 2015


Summertime and the writing is easy....

by Clare O'Donohue

Q: It's summer! Do you take vacations from writing? What vacation spot has been most inspiring for your writing?

It is summer - and a nice hot one at that. And I've taken a vacation this summer, part of my pledge to actually stop working from time to time and travel for the pure joy of it. And I mostly didn't write during the two weeks I was traveling. Mostly. I mean, I did jot down an idea or two, and I came up with a better opening to this book I've been working on, and there was some research I did... but mostly, I took a break. In the sense that writers actually take a break.

Because writing is a lot of thinking and mulling over and imagining, and when you want to do it sometimes you can't. And when you stop trying, BANG, out it comes. So, even though I wasn't trying to write, I did find myself lazily putting together a paragraph or two.

But the real benefit came when I returned from vacation. I felt rested and happy and less stressed. I'd de-cluttered my brain. I had new ideas, and I'd found my way past more than one dead-end plot point. I was ready to sit down and tackle a story that I'd been avoiding for far too long. I was chomping at the bit to get down to work and three weeks post-holiday, I'm still feeling the benefits.

So, yes, I take a break from writing, because I'm discovering it reminds me of why I love being back to the day-to-day life of meeting my word count.

No comments: