Thursday, October 8, 2015

And the Winner is…

by Alan

Is there a piece of conventional writing advice you take serious exception to?

As I was considering this week’s question, I ended up thinking about all sorts of writing advice, so I now present to you the Advicees (Awards for Writing Advice)!

trophy Most Well-Intentioned Advice: Write every day.

Most Rigid Advice: Don’t use adverbs. Ever. Seriously.

Most Offered Advice: Write what you know.

Most Useful Advice: Hook up with a critique group.

Most Useless Advice: Write whatever’s “hot.”

Most Treasured Advice: Read a lot.

Most Cryptic Advice: BICFOK*

Most Exaggerated Advice: Write conflict on EVERY page.

Most Amplified Advice: Raise the stakes. Raise the stakes again. And again!

Most Reader-Friendly Advice: Start your character names with different letters of the alphabet.

Most Pragmatic Advice: If you expect to become rich writing novels, give up now.

Worst Advice: If you don’t know how to end your book, have the narrator wake up and realize the whole thing was a dream.

Best Advice: Be careful taking everyone else’s advice and figure out what works for YOU.

 

*Butt In Chair, Fingers On Keyboard

*******

This weekend, I’ll be attending the Bouchercon Mystery Convention in Raleigh. If you’re there, I’d love to see you! My panel is on Friday at 2:30: Acorns Nurtured Here : The Talent, Past, Present & Future, with Ruth Moose, Karen Pullen, Leslie Budewitz and moderator Chris Roerden. I’ll also be attending a panel, Jewish Noir, on Friday morning at 10. And, of course, I’ll be hanging out in the bar!

2 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

It's hard to choose a winner from that bunch, Alan... Looking forward to seeing you at Bouchercon!!!

RJ Harlick said...

Have a great time at Bouchercon, my fellow Minds. I'm sorry I can't join you.