Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Goals Beyond

What are some of your New Year’s resolutions, writing or otherwise? 

In 2016, I'm going to get out of bed every morning, and breathe in and out all day long. Then, after a while I won't have to remind myself to get out of bed every morning and breathe in and out. And then, after a while, I won't have to think about how I had it great and perfect for a while. 

Okay, no more Sleepless in Seattle quotes. The real answer.

Certain aspects of 'the writing life' come easier than others. Promotion I find very hard. I'm not naturally outgoing, so being sociable is something I have to continually work on.

My second novel, Invisible Dead, comes out this year. It's my first for Random House Canada. I owe it to the book to promote it, to solicit on its behalf. So that's something I'll be focusing on for 2016.

As for personal goals, I'm focusing on learning French, something that has been stop-start with me for the last few years. Canada may be a bilingual nation, but Vancouver offers few places to practice the language. It's mentally taxing, and a challenge to your confidence, but I think learning another language also allows you to sympathize with people for whom English isn't their first language.

I enjoy the struggle of reading in French, dictionary nearby, pen ready to jot down new vocabulary words. Last year I managed to get through my first French novel, Le Petit Prince. It's a children's book, but a great read. This year my goal is to read Pier-le-Letton, the first of George Simenon's Inspector Maigret novels.

if I can accomplish those things, lose some weight, and stay out of debt, I'll consider 2016 a success. 

2 comments:

Catriona McPherson said...

Cher Sam, ton resolution de parler Francais est tres estimable. Aaaand I'm out.

But here's a thing - maybe people who don't like promo are better at it than people who do. Because people who love doing promo can get very wearing. Because they keep doing it. Then you start hiding in cupboards when you see them coming.

Sam said...

Great point, Catriona. There's nothing worse than the hard sell. I think you strike a really good balance between assertiveness and tact.