Monday, January 11, 2016

New Year, New Book

What are some of your New Year’s resolutions, writing or otherwise?

by Meredith Cole

It's a new year, so it's time to start a list of all the things we'd like to do better next year. But before I do that, I'd like to reflect on just three things I accomplished last year:

  • Finished a challenging book.
THE HOLD UP has been a book that I feel like I've been writing for years with multiple points of view, etc. I hope my book about a 12-year-old who robs a bank in 1951 and the private eye and bank teller who are determined to track her down and get the money finds a home in 2016.
  • Renovated my house.
This is probably the hardest thing I did this year. It wasn't that I did much of the work (some painting and cleaning only), but really because my family had to move out of our house for about 10 weeks as we took out walls, moved bathrooms, raised the ceilings and uncovered the original wood floors. No writing happened during that time. Not much of anything else happened during that time. But we're so happy with the result. We finally have a more open house where we can entertain, and have at last more light and space.
  • Went to Europe.
My husband and I hadn't traveled overseas in over a decade, and we were anxious for our son (a preteen) to see a little more of the world. We went over the holidays to Berlin and Prague. It was cold and challenging (since our second language, French, didn't help us much), but we had a wonderful time celebrating the New Year on the banks of the Charles River.

So what is on my list of goals for 2016? The usual stuff. Write another book. Exercise. Eat well. Spend time with friends and family. Plan a trip across the country with my family. Try new things.

And when it comes to trying new things, I took a stab at my first flash fiction story for Authors on the Air, and I'm delighted to join fellow Criminal Minds Art Taylor and Alan Orloff tonight as we read our stories for Noir on the Radio at 9 PM EST tonight with host Ed Aymar.

1 comment:

Susan C Shea said...

Wow, it was a big year, and it sounds like you're starting 2016 pretty well to. Good luck finding a publisher. My agent always says it only takes one editor who loves it; and, having found that editor at St Martin's Minotaur for my French book in December, I am here to testify it's pretty unnerving until you do and then go great when you realize one reader truly 'gets' what you're doing. Fingers crossed for you!