Thursday, January 28, 2016

’Snow Rut Here

by Alan

It’s so easy to get into a ‘same old, same old’ rut with your writing. What do you do to break out of it?

Here’s what I did to break out of that “rut” over this past weekend:

On Friday, I swept the light snow off the driveway with a pushbroom for an hour or so.

On Saturday, I shoveled snow in a blizzard for an hour and a half in the morning and an hour and a half in the afternoon.

On Sunday, I shoveled snow for two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon.

On Monday, I shoveled snow for two and a half hours in the morning. (I took the afternoon off to rest my aching muscles.)

On Tuesday, I shoveled snow for two hours in the morning.

During that time, I broke two broom handles and one snow shovel. But my back held up!


When I was finished, I was no longer in a rut. So, to recap, the best way to get out of a rut is to do hours upon hours of something more unpleasant, like shoveling eight tons of snow. Simple!


In all seriousness, I don’t usually find myself mired in writing ruts (Of course, my readers might feel differently!). Maybe it’s because when I start to feel things getting stale, I switch genres. I’ve written mysteries, thrillers, horror, YA, and YA horror. And short stories. Some with more success than others, but I never really feel confined or stuck in a rut.

My next project will be a horror story about a guy who goes mad after spending too much time shoveling snow.

It’s autobiographical.













5 comments:

Art Taylor said...

I loved the punchline here!
Art

Alan Orloff said...

Punchline?

Art Taylor said...

"My next project will be a horror story about a guy who goes mad after spending too much time shoveling snow."

"It’s autobiographical."

Alan Orloff said...

Ain't nothing funny about that. Here's a twist: the guy who goes mad has a doppelganger everyone's always confusing him with. Hijinks ensue.

Art Taylor said...

Doppelgangers always shake things up.