Monday, February 22, 2016

Emotional reading


"What's the last book that made you cry? Laugh out loud? Quiver with fear?"

by Meredith Cole
 
This is a hard question! As I know I've mentioned before, I read a lot. I also don't confine myself to one genre. I find books that sound interesting and try them out. In the past month or so, I've read Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff, Among the Ten Thousand Things by Julia Pierpont, Not the End of the World by Kate Atkinson, How the Body Knows Its Mind by Sian Beilock, The Martian by Andy Weir, and Falling in Love by Donna Leon (and a few others I didn't write down...). So--a mix of literary fiction with a mystery, a science fiction novel and a non-fiction book thrown in.

I read to learn. To be entertained. And occasionally a book makes me laugh, cry or quiver with fear. I just don't remember which ones. So here's a guess:

So... the last book that made me laugh out loud? Has to be All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott. I'm reading it out loud to my kid right now and we get the giggles as he describes chasing cows around the field, falling in the muck and dealing with all the crazy characters in Yorkshire.

Quiver with fear? Some dark thriller that totally freaked me out and made me glad I'm not walking at night down a dark alley in Sweden/Norway/Berlin at the moment.

Made me cry? Probably rereading A Little Princess or A Secret Garden or something like that. Gets me every time.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's list this week!

2 comments:

Susan C Shea said...

To this day, I cannot read Charlotte's Web to a child without gulping and quavering! Now, there's good writing.

Meredith Cole said...

That's one of my favorites, too, Susan!