Thursday, February 25, 2016

I’m Not a Robot. Really.

by Alan
What's the last book that made you cry? Laugh out loud? Quiver with fear?

I’m not much of a crier (I remember crying when I watched Bambi. Does that count?). I do most of my laughing inside. And I haven’t quivered in, well, forever. That’s not to say I don’t experience emotions (Believe me, I’m not a robot, no matter how dull I appear on the outside); I just won’t take this week’s questions too literally.
 
Unoriginal SinnerI can nail two-thirds of my answer in one swoop: an obscure 40-year-old book that both made me laugh out loud AND made me cry (figuratively, at least). THE UNORIGINAL SINNER AND THE ICE-CREAM GOD by John R. Powers is part of the LAST CATHOLIC IN AMERICA and DO PATENT LEATHER SHOES REALLY REFLECT UP? trilogy, and while the humor might not be for everyone, this book (along with the others in the series) hit my funny bone with precision—and often. As for making me cry, well let’s just say the story packed an emotional punch beneath the humor.
 




A Head Full of Ghosts
I love the creepy, and when I’m in a reading rut, I’ll often turn to something that will make my skin crawl (Stephen King is a particular fave). I recently read Paul Tremblay’s A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS. I loved the voice and I loved the premise and I loved the writing and I loved the eerie atmosphere he created. I knew I was in for a treat when I read this endorsement, by none other than the aforementioned Mr. King: “A Head Full of Ghosts scared the living hell out of me, and I’m pretty hard to scare.”

So I guess I’m in good company!








No comments: