Tuesday, March 22, 2016

On Vacation


by R.J. Harlick

What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing your last book to life?

Initially, I had every intention of answering this question. But then life got the better of me, vacation life, that is.

Two weeks ago, my husband and I loaded our two dogs into the car along with all their food, beds, toys and so on. We had to buy a Thule box to fit all their stuff in because they were taking up the entire back seat. We headed to Florida, to West Palm Beach to be precise. We took it slowly, stopping at pretty well every Rest Area along the way to give them a reprieve from the backseat. 

After four days on the road, we finally arrived at our rental property. Nirvana. Palm trees clattering in the wind. Hot, baking sun. Splashes in the pool to cool off. Cascades of fuchsia bougainvillea spilling over the fence. Bananas ripening on real live banana trees, while overhead some kind of weird fruit, along with coconuts are poised to land in our pool.

You have to realize that when I left Ottawa the temperatures were hovering at freezing levels with two feet of snow on the ground and the weather couldn't make up its mind on whether to snow, rain or do both.

Since our arrival, we, my husband, the dogs and I have barely been able to rouse ourselves to leave our marvelous tropical garden.

I’ve tried writing a proper blog, but just can’t get my head around it. So I give up. I don’t know how you guys living in such marvelously warm, sunny climes can even write a single word let along an entire book.  I also had plans to work on the 8th Meg Harris mystery. Well, it ain’t going to happen. I’m having too much fun.

I formally declare I am on vacation.


So in answer to this week’s question, the most challenging thing facing me at the moment is writing this blog.


2 comments:

Susan C Shea said...

I laughed at your predicament! Too relaxed to write. Yes, it happens, although not nearly enough. Enjoy...

Maureen Fisher said...

Yup. I'm with you. That's why it takes me so long to write a book. We've spent the last four winters in Puerto Vallarta. It's difficult to conjure up a romantic love scene or anxt-driven black moment with a Mariachi band blasting outside the window. Much easier to join the fun, head for the nearest oceanfront bar, and grab a pina colada.