Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Strange researches

by RM
 
What is the strangest thing you’ve ever done to research your book?
This is a fun question!

But when I read it, I buried my face in my hands and said, “Oh, no.” Because I’ve not done any big strange thing in the name of research.
Mine are the scattered, low-key kind of strangenesses that maybe add up to something worth speaking of.

Little things, like:

A)          Trying to get what it’s like to be that kind of person (i.e., a bigot), so I can write about them in a well-rounded way.
B)           Enjoying my miserable moments, because it brings me closer to my characters -- at least the miserable ones.
C)           Google Earthing places, looking for ditches to hide bodies and things.
D)          Google Earthing other places, sometimes for hours, just to get the lay of the land.
E)           Driving around neighbourhoods looking for (i.e.) Cal’s house, so I can see him walking out to his car in the morning, and which route he takes to get to work, etc.
F)           Taking an ex-RCMP officer out for lunch and prying into his life. Maybe not so strange for some people, but for me it was big.
G)          Tailing a man and woman in a supermarket just to listen to their thick Scottish accents.
H)          For Book II (Undertow, just submitted!!) I did need to see if it was possible to stuff a baby bootie into an empty bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin. In the end I didn’t have a baby bootie, so drank the gin (awful stuff*) and pushed a small sock inside, and found it IS possible. So nobody can accuse me of being unrealistic.

Not so strange on their own, but cumulatively I think this all qualifies as at least eccentric behaviour.
BOOK III should take me to more interesting places, though -- it involves a lycanthrope!

* Note: Some people love gin, and Bombay I hear is a good one. I can’t seem to acquire the taste though...yet.

 

1 comment:

Alan Orloff said...

Nothing wrong with some low-key strangeness, especially in volume! Love it!