Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?

Tracy Kiely

I am what those in the food service industry refer to as being “in the weeds.” In other words, I am hopelessly behind. School is almost out, and my kids are in school only for half a day now. It seems I just get one out the door, when another one wanders back in. Furthermore, my oldest is back from college now and suddenly the house is in complete disarray. I can’t see the basement floor as it’s covered in his dirty laundry and food is disappearing at an alarming rate.

All this is my not so subtle way of saying that my post today is going to be rather brief. But, if I were to have the power to invite anyone to my dinner party, I think I’d like to invite Shakespeare, Sir Francis Bacon and Christopher Marlow. Yep, that’s right. And then, once I had all these fine gentlemen under one roof I would be able to once and for all settle the age old argument of Who Really Wrote Shakespeare?

Perhaps it wouldn’t change the world, but these days I’ll take whatever victories I can.


PS. Spoiler alert: Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare – just in case my dinner party guests can’t make it.

2 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

Sounds like a fun party! Do you think Bacon and Marlow would be amused to hear that people are convinced that they were Shakespeare?

Susan C Shea said...

Great idea - I can see you wielding a dinner fork - they did use forks in 1600, right? - and telling the gentlemen they could not leave the dining room until they signed statements under oath.