Thursday, June 16, 2016

If it’s March, it Must be Dorothy Parker

by Alan

If you could host a dinner party where the guests didn’t actually have to be alive, which three writers would you invite?

I couldn’t narrow down my choice to only three writers, so I came up with a dozen interesting trios (call it a “Dinner Party of the Month Club”):

Dorothy L. Sayers, Agatha Christie, Josephine Tey – I’d be taking notes at this soirée!

Robert Crais, Michael Connelly, Reed Farrel Coleman – Three contemporary writers whose series feature tough, wise-guy-ish PIs. Bonus: Their last names all begin with “C”!

Dorothy_ParkerTruman Capote, Ernest Hemingway, Dorothy Parker – Forget dinner, bring on the cocktails!

Robert Harris, Robert McGammon, Robert Bloch – One, two, three twisted Roberts.

Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Shirley Jackson – Oh, the horrors! But in a good way!

Janet Evanovich, James Patterson, John Grisham – I’d keep my ears open for investment advice.

Dr. Seuss, Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume – One night I’d love sitting at the kids’ table.

J.K. Rowling, L. Frank Baum, J. R. R. Tolkien – Put aside reality for an evening. Ray_Bradbury_(1975)_-cropped-

Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury – Far out! Really far out!

Patricia Highsmith, Scott Turow, Alexander Dumas – On the menu: Revenge (served cold)

William Goldman, Alfred Hitchcock, Aaron Sorkin – Screenwriters are writers, too!

William Shakespeare, William Faulkner, James Joyce – I’d invite these three if I really wanted to concentrate on my meal. (Because I wouldn’t understand a word they were saying, and even if I could, I don’t think I’d be able to get a word in edgewise.)

 

Who would you invite to your dinner party?

 

*****

AHMM 2016Short story news! I’ve had two stories published in the past few months. Stormy, With a Chance of Murder is in the CHESAPEAKE CRIMES: STORM WARNING anthology. The Last Loose End is in the July/August issue of Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine (available now!).

6 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

In answer to your question, I would invite Alan Orloff and all the rest of the Criminal Minds. A modern day Algonquin Roundtable. ;)

Susan C Shea said...

I love every one of those, but I'd be spooked out by Shirley Jackson. The life of her mind was way beyond normal, even though her external self, the suburban housewife, could fool you into letting down your guard for one fatal instant.

Alan Orloff said...

Paul - Just as long as I'm not stuck with the bar tab.

Susan - There's a few I'd be wary of, that's for sure. (Maybe we could get Paul to be our food tester.)

RJ Harlick said...

Love your list. It would make for a raucous all nighter with never ending talking. But yes, I would be worried about the bar bill.

Paul D. Marks said...

Why me??????????? :)

Art Taylor said...

Liked your lists here--a lot of fun pairings! ...um, triplings? Either way, you know what I mean.