Thursday, August 11, 2016

Do Not Judge Me

by Alan

Share a photo of your writing space. What do you like best about it? What would you like to change?

My office in photos:

DSCF3113

DSCF3115

DSCF3121

DSCF3116

 

My cork sculpture:

DSCF3117

Conversation:

Me: Check out this totally cool cork sculpture!

Someone else in my household: Hmm. If you like it so much, why has it been in storage for a decade? You should get rid of it.

Me: No way! I love this thing.

Someone else in my household: It’s been in a box in the basement for ten years. Get rid of it.

Me, taking it out of box and putting it on my desk: See? Not in the box in the basement anymore. Now I can look at it whenever I want. It will inspire me.

Someone else in my household:

 

Surrealistic posters:

DSCF3118

 

A gift for a friend I never gave 31 years ago. (C. S., if you’re reading this, contact me!)

DSCF3119

 

View out the window:

DSCF3123

Other items in my office: piece of petrified wood, a little rubber SpongeBob, matryoshka dolls, a USB turntable, my stand-up desk (aka, a box from Costco), a shoebox full of batteries (some of which might even be good), a TV with a CRT (old school), coupons for Popeye’s (I never eat there), three baseballs signed by Little League teams I helped coach, Chinese meditation balls (two sets), a “That Was Easy” talking button from Staples, about three thousand bookmarks, a World’s Greatest Father loving cup, a giant bag of LifeSavers (unopened, 2 years old), sixteen AC adapters for long-gone electronic devices, a laminator (yay!), a half-eaten bag of Apple Mix candy corn, a large glass jug full of pennies, and dozens and dozens (and dozens and dozens) of books.

As you can tell, my office is a disorganized disaster. So what would I change about it?

Not a damn thing!

What’s the strangest item in your office?

12 comments:

Art Taylor said...

Love this tour, Alan! And the inventory too. (And tell that "someone" that I think the cork sculpture is very admirable indeed.) :-)

Annette said...

Strange? There's nothing "strange" in my office. My inventory rivals yours, though, Alan. Nothing "strange" in yours either.

Karen in Ohio said...

Definitely get rid of the Popeye's coupons.

Are you familiar with the artist Charley Harper? He was a dear family friend, and well known for having a studio that was in frantic disarray. He once said, in defense of his unorganization, something to the effect that having all that chaos around helped him to be more creative. You could just go with that.

Art Taylor said...

Oh, Karen, I LOVE Charley Harper's work! And appreciate that story about him too.

RM Greenaway said...

Your office looks a lot like mine! Disorganization is good and inspirational until there's no room to put your laptop. But then just move elsewhere with nifty portable laptop table, no problem!

RJ Harlick said...

Alan, this is pretty much the way my desk and office look. One reason why I write elsewhere.

Susan C Shea said...

You have no idea how relieved I am to see those photos - thank you, thank you. What is it about paper? Can it really mate and reproduce in the nighttime?

P.S. The cork thing is cool.

Alan Orloff said...

Thanks for the comments! I've tried writing in other places but they're too neat. Plus, I like to be able to reach out and grab whatever I might need--candy apple-flavored stale candy corn, a band-aid, a lobster-shaped pencil eraser, petrified wood, a deck of playing cards, whatever!

Allan J. Emerson said...

I'm impressed. How do you keep it so tidy?

Shari Randall said...

I've never heard of cork sculpture. Did you make it?

Alan Orloff said...

Don't worry, Allan, if it starts getting too tidy, I sweep my hands across my desk and table to "freshen things up."

I did not, Shari. My hands are far too big and clumsy to undertake such delicate work. And, of course, I have absolutely zero artistic talent.

Cathy Ace said...

Love it! :-) Cathy