Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Have Portable Laptop Desk Will Travel

By R.J. Harlick

When I started on this writing adventure, I sat at a desk. Where else would I sit, I asked myself, but in the home office I used for my real job. This worked for the first few years, but it lacked one key ingredient, a view, which had always been an integral part of my dream of being a writer. When we built our log cabin in the woods the view arrived, but I was still wired to sit at a desk. That’s what seventeen years of school and thirty odd years of working does to you.  

Finally, one day the light bulb went on when I discovered another kind of desk, the portable laptop desk and I felt the first breath of freedom. With this nifty little desk just large enough to hold my laptop, I could write anywhere. All I need is a comfy chair and my lap. So I move around my cabin with the seasons, but I have honed in on two favourite spots.



 In the winter I sit on the sofa in front of a roaring fire and watch the snow swirl past the windows. In summer I move into the screened porch and watch the wind flutter the leaves and the birds flit in and out of the feeders. I mustn’t forget the excitement of a squirrel chase, my dogs favourite pastime.


5 comments:

Art Taylor said...

Oh, I love these pictures! And yes, the joys of a laptop. Not to give too much away about my own post later in the week, but like you, I've sometimes adhered to the idea of a real desk, real office, etc. (and there's still something to that)--but other times, to break free.... :-)

Thanks for the fun pictures and fun post!

Susan C Shea said...

The laptop desk intrigues me. Must research. My problem, well one of my problems, is that I'm a lousy typist and must choose to look at the screen or at the keyboard for every darn word. I tend to hunch with my fingers cramped and hands too close to my body. A lot of laptops assume the writer will be relaxed and some distance from the screen. Thanks for the suggestion, Robin!

RJ Harlick said...

Susan, I find using this laptop desk very comfortable, because you can adjust your sitting position much easier and more frequently if you're not confined to a one-position fits all desk chair. You are also better able to adjust the level of the computer to suit your viewing needs, particularly when wearing bifocals. I found because of the height of the desk, I was having to arch my head upwards to read the screen. So give it a go.

RM Greenaway said...

You've got a beautiful setting there! I depend on a laptop table too. $25, and a place for pens/reading glasses. Perfect size for my Surface. I take it everywhere I go now.

Cathy Ace said...

Looks lovely! :-)