Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Maybe A Double Consonant Will Do It

By R.J. Harlick

Summer's almost done! Share a favorite book from your summer reading. And do you seek out different books depending on the season?

Yup. Summer’s almost done. I have a fire on this morning to keep the autumnal chill at bay. Waaahhh….It’s too early to be reminded that winter is only a few short months away.

Now onto more happy thoughts….books!

I had a couple of interesting and unusual reads this summer, unusual for me that is. Best sellers. Normally I avoid best sellers like the plague. Don’t ask me why. Something in my DNA that says if the rest of the world is gorging on this book, I won’t. Call it perverse or just being a rebel. I suppose it’s all about not wanting to be told that I have to read this book because everyone else is.

Anyways, for the last few years every time I looked at a best seller list. Yup, I will admit I do look at them, but its wishful thinking, really more like faint, faint hope, that one of my books would end up on one of these lists. Anyway, every time I glanced at one of these lists one book seemed to dominate them and never left, not for months. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I kept noticing the title because I like birds. I have several feeders around my cabin that I watch year round and one of the more popular visitors are goldfinches. I love their flick of brilliant yellow in the summer sun and their scurry of activity on a cold winter’s day.

So every time I would see this title mentioned, I would tell myself that I should read it. But I never did….until one day I get an e-message from KOBO offering it for a very good discounted price. Yup. I couldn’t resist. I bought it.

Which is something else that goes against my grain. We authors get little enough as it is for our long hours spent in writing these books, so I normally avoid buying discounted books particularly ebooks, because the poor author will see almost nothing from the transaction, not after all the publisher, book seller and so on and so forth costs are deducted. But with The Goldfinch, I figured Donna Tartt had already made a bundle on this book, so I clicked yes and I bought it.

I loved it. Tartt reeled me in from the first magical page. Fabulous writing. The art angle reeled me in too. I’m a sucker for a good painting. Though there were times when I wanted to yell at Theo for being so bloody stupid and I did, I couldn’t put the book down, all 1000 or so pages of it.

When Kobo sent me a message about another deep discounted, best selling book that I had also noticed on the best seller lists, one whose title had intrigued me, I jumped. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. He has done a good job of reeling me in too. Another fabulously written book.

I marvel at the imagination of both authors to create such intriguing and unusual stories.

I’ve also noticed one other thing about these two best sellers…both authors’ last names end in a double consonant. Now, maybe if I add another ‘k’, one of my books might….


So what about you, what fabulous books have your read this summer?

3 comments:

Art Taylor said...

Great post here! My wife loved The Goldfinch, and I loved what I read of it--started it and then got pulled into the semester and couldn't ever get back. I need to return to it.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Susan C Shea said...

All the Light...is on my TBR shelf right now. I got about half way through The Goldfinch when the protagonist irritated me so much I put it aside, thinking I could not spend another 500 pages in his company. But if you say it's worth it, maybe I'll try to pick it up some dark, cold day when the fireplace and the lights go on early. (I'm with you - I almost cried when I had to turn the living room lights on at 8 p.m. yesterday.) Thanks for a good post!

RM Greenaway said...

Thank you for the recommendations. Now I'm really curious how irritating that protagonist is, haha. Anyway, it's good to get a bit of insight into what's hot, even if there's no time to read them all. But no thanks for the reminder that winter is coming!! Bring out the woolies... :)