Monday, August 8, 2016

My writing studio is... the world

Share a photo of your writing space. What do you like best about it? What would you like to change?

by Meredith Cole

Back when I lived in a small New York apartment, I used to dream of a room of my own. I would have my large desk all to myself and I would have a door I could shut against the world and get some serious stuff done.

But once I had an office, I realized that I hated writing in it. I stored far too much stuff in it (books from competitions I was judging, bills to pay, etc.) for it to be Zen like or creative.

So where do I write? In bed. At the dining room table. On the couch. Oh--and when the weather is nice, on our screen porch. Every space has its limitations, but moving around somehow keeps me writing. And that's what's most important.


8 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

I think it's great you can write in all those various places, Meredith. And when we lived in our other house I sort of did that too, even though I had an office. But I'd go all over with the laptop. But in this house I really just like writing in my office on the desktop. It's more comfortable to use the bigger computer, plus even though my office and desk are cluttered messes, everything is within arm's reach.

Meredith Cole said...

In our recent house renovation, we got rid of my office and now I share one with my husband. I can see gravitating back another time--but I think writing in bed, etc., convinces me that I'm actually relaxing when I'm writing and not really working very hard... :)

Art Taylor said...

Thanks for kicking off this week with such a great picture and a fun post! This is the first time I've been responsible for a prompt, and I'll admit I played a little selfish, since I'm always personally curious about other writers' work spaces. Your response seems a really good one. Looking forward to what others offer!

RM Greenaway said...

Same as you, Meredith. Best writing happens in bed, or an armchair, or wherever feels comfortable. And the office does remind me of all the work I'm supposed to be doing, which gets in the way of happy writing. Your space looks great!

RJ Harlick said...

The perfect view to get the creative juices flowing. I'm much like you, Meredith, but you will find out tomorrow. :)

Cathy Ace said...

All I see in this photo...it's SO NEAT!!!!! Ack - my writing room looks like a bomb has hit it. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have to answer this question or I'd be spending days tidying up (or just moving piles out of shot!) At the moment - laptop is on dining table because I can't face the writing room mess ;-)

Susan C Shea said...

Could I visit your screen porch some time? It's fabulous. I was thrilled to finally have an office just for writing, but it's filled with books, paper, more paper, cat trees and file cabinets, all of which are massive distractions. Bad on me...

Cathy Ace said...

Looks super :-)