Monday, September 19, 2016

Sequels Almost Never Work...

Have you ever seen an original film that made you wish you could write a book sequel?

by Meredith Cole

I studied film in graduate school and I was a film director before I began to write books. But this question leaves me a bit flat footed, I'm afraid. But I'll give it a try.

When I see a film that I really, really love, it's often because it is complete and great on its own and has no need of anything more. I've had the feeling, watching a really great film, that I wanted to accomplish something similar and wow my audience in the same way, but never to write a sequel. Great films (and books) inspire me to write better, but not finish someone else's thought.

And then there are my feelings about sequels... Except with a few exceptions (EMPIRE STRIKES BACK springs to mind), they are rarely better than the first film. They often attempt to retell the first film with a twist, but usually end up doing so in a self-conscious way that comes off as more artificial and awkward than transcendent. Because of this, I've never dreamed of making a part 2 of anything. Just wanted to make my own part 1 in a more inspiring way.

And a hearty congratulations to Art Taylor and former Criminal Mind Chris Holm on your Anthony Awards this past weekend! Wish I could have been there to cheer loudly in person...

3 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

I agree with you about sequels in most cases, Meredith. But another one that really even tops the first movie in the series is Godfather II. A true masterpiece.

Meredith Cole said...

I was trying to think of other exceptions to the rule, but was having a hard time... Thanks for the addition, Paul!

Chris said...

Thanks, Meredith!