Thursday, October 20, 2016

My Usual Answer: BICFOK!

by Alan

How does moderate stress affect your desire/ability to write? Not minor stress like burnt toast, or major stress like your house just fell down a sinkhole, but a fight with a loved one, a fender-bender at the mall, financial woes?

me with ax 1I like to think I’m a pretty chill guy. (Not sure that’s always the case, but I like to think that. Remember, writers are delusional.) I try not to let stress, or any other distractions for that matter, get in the way of my writing.

I think my “daily quota” writing strategy helps in that regard because I know that once I hit my word count, I’m then free to attend to any pressing needs (like shopping or vacuuming or mowing the lawn or playing golf or writing blog posts).

I try to practice what I tell my workshop students: BICFOK!

Butt In Chair, Fingers On Keyboard.

If I can BICFOK for as long as it takes to hit my quota, then I’m good.

(And exercise helps with the stress, too.)

(Just ignore the man with the ax.)

8 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

An ax is good for relieving stress. But if you use it on the wrong person you might find Joe Kenda at your door.

RM Greenaway said...

Ok, will post this picture on my wall as a reminder, and stop complaining about no time to BICFOK.

RJ Harlick said...

Your daily quota sounds like a good way to keep the stress at bay, that is until you don't reach it...:)

Alan Orloff said...

Paul - I'm responsible with my ax usage. At least I have been, up to now.

RM - Maybe I should try BICFOA (Butt in Chair, Fingers on Ax)?

RJ - There's always tomorrow!!

Adam Meyer said...

Liked the post - but I'm not coming to your house for trick or treating! :)

Paula Gail Benson said...

If only the BICFOK could be counted as exercise . . . Great post!

Alan Orloff said...

Adam - I rarely pull out the ax. Come on over!

Paula - If you do it right, it does!

Susan C Shea said...

BIKFOK sounds almost like a nasty swear word so if I am tempted to say it as a reminder, I'll keep it to myself and be sure not to utter it aloud when there's a man with an ax standing nearby!