Thursday, October 6, 2016

Write On!

by Alan

In your active writing years, was there ever a point you decided to quit writing altogether? If so, how long before you were back at it?

Nope. Never.

Of course, it took me forty years to decide to write fiction in the first place.

But having made that leap, I’ve kept going. Every day isn’t spent working on a novel, of course. I spend some days working on marketing or blogging or on social media or preparing to teach writing workshops or working on short stories.

Some days, I even take off.

However, most of the time I do have a novel at some stage in the process, or multiple novels at different stages of the process. I treat writing as a business (which, in my world, it is), so I approach it as such. I try to work hard, I try to work smart, and I try to work in a disciplined fashion.

better Monkey-typingI’ve managed to stick with this writing thing, even after hundreds of rejections. I expect to still be sticking with it, after hundreds of future rejections.

I’m a masochist!

I’m a writer!

5 comments:

jrlindermuth said...

Perseverance. It's said that's the key. When I was about 18 or 19 and aspiring to write, I read a Hemingway short story (don't even remember which one now), was so blown away I thought I'd never write again. The next day I wrote again.

Art Taylor said...

Those last two lines are part of some algebraic equation, right? If A=B and A=C, then B=C, correct?

Good post, and glad you stuck with it!

RM Greenaway said...

Thanks Alan! When I asked this question (not so well) I was sure every one of us had times in our trying-to-get published years that we felt like our novels were a great futile waste of time, and turned our backs on them. But sounds like I'm the only one here who did - probably because it took me longer than most people to get published, and figured I might as well grow vegetables instead. Glad I stuck with it though.

Alan Orloff said...

John - Yeah, perseverance IS key. Most writers learn that, I think.

Art - I like to throw some math in whenever I can.

RM - Don't misunderstand me. I think all my novels ARE a futile waste of time.

Susan C Shea said...

That's ultimately it: We're writers, that's what we do.