Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Movie Magic

By Tracy Kiely

I fell in love with watching movies long before I fell in love with reading books. Mainly because of the whole reading thing. I’m not saying that I was a terribly slow child, but I do remember watching The Electric Company and growing increasingly anxious each week as the end of the show drew near. For those of you who don’t remember it, it always ended with a teaser for next week’s episode that included a sentence on a white board. As soon as I heard the announcer say, “Tune in next week, when…” I’d start screaming for my mom. Now that I think about it, my mom was the one who introduced me to movies. Probably so she didn’t have to listen to my panicky screams, which were more on par with a gaping head wound than an inability to read a line from The Adventures of Letterman.
Thanks to my mom, I learned that just because a movie is in black and white it does not mean the plot is adversely affected (a fact that many people today still seem unaware of). We watched British dark comedies, especially the Ealing comedies with Alex Guinness, anything with Cary Grant, and anything by Hitchcock.
I would love to one day write a successful screenplay. In my head, it would be a black comedy, a Hitchcock-like adventure, with a love story thrown in for good measure. So, part North by Northwest, part Charade, and part Lavender Hill Mob.    I’ve been toying with an idea for a plot for – oh, twenty plus years now and while the beginning is the same in that it starts off on a train (Hitchcock would have wanted it that way, I believe) I’ve had to change several elements numerous times because technology keeps changing and ruining my plot. The cast has changed, too. Sadly, Cary Grant is no longer available - mainly because he’s no longer alive.  (The steady march of time has seriously wrecked havoc on this non-existent screenplay of mine.)
But, I still have time and so I still have hope that I will one day get around to writing it.
And speaking of the steady march of time, my time here blogging on 7 Criminal Minds has also come to an end. I’ve been a part of this lovely, motely crew for a little over six years now, and I think it’s time for me to step aside and let someone else take a turn. Dieter Kalteis has generously agreed to take over my Wednesday slot, and I think everyone will agree that he’ll be a great addition to the group.  
You can read all about Dieter (and his many books) here. However, his latest book was released just yesterday. 


Fast Women and Neon Lights is a wild criminal romp inspired by eighties crime movies and television shows, as well as the wacky, over-the-top eighties style and aesthetic. These eighteen hard-hitting, emotional, and often-hilarious stories written by some of today’s top neo-noir authors will disturb you, make you laugh, and most of all, keep you highly entertained from cover to cover! Car thieves, down-on-their-luck Karate guys, out-of-control valley girls, Air Jordan-obsesed clutz robbers, professional opponent wrestlers, aspiring female wrestlers, Oingo Boingo-obsessed cocaine fiends, vice cop mashups, high-stakes gamblers, and heroin-addicted punk rock managers are just a taste of what you’ll find in these dark pages!
 

You can order your copy from Short Stack Books or online at Amazon.

 It’s been great chatting about reading, writing, and killing with you all! Cheers!

4 comments:

Alan Orloff said...

We'll miss you and your sense of humor, Tracy!! Come back for some guest posts whenever you want!

Susan C Shea said...

Will miss you - I kept waiting for an all-Hitchcock riff and thought I had opened the door with my September questions. Come back and visit, but don't wait for that screenplay to be done! Good luck with the writing!

RJ Harlick said...

Sorry your leaving us Tracy. But I wish you well with your writing. Who knows maybe I'll be watching one of your films in the years to come. Take care

Danny Gardner said...

All the best, Tracy! And welcome Dieter!