Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Some gift-wrapped words...


"This is the time of year when thoughts turn to gift-giving. Could you suggest four books that would be ideal for "x" type of person - you get to define "x", or a book for each of four different types of person…again, your choice of types."

by RM
 
For my aunt in Texas, I will gift the whole of Cathy Ace’s “Cait Morgan” series. They’re fun and worldly, they’re classic whodunits but from the here-and-now, and I know she’ll love them and won't settle for just one.

For my brother, I will buy Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris. A friend told me about the humour of Mr. Sedaris and lent me this book of essays. Having no time to read lately, I have only turned to page 1, and must return the book unread, but already I’m a fan. I bet my brother could use a good laugh. I know I could!

For a friend who is getting so close to publishing her first crime novel, I will give My First Book compiled by Jerome K. Jerome. As far as I can tell, this was first published in 1989. I chanced upon this while searching Libravox audiobooks (highly recommended) for something to help me sleep, and instead it kept me awake. It is a collection of recountings by turn-of-century authors telling of their first experiences in the publishing world, which believe it or not was just as crazy and angst-ridden then as it is now! I have not gotten far through the narrated version, but these memoires from another time are just fascinating to me.

For myself, I will buy On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King. I read this a few years ago but have not retained much, as I’ve gone through life distractedly. This book was so often recommended by others that I would like to read it again.

I hope that when all those mentioned above finish reading the books I’ve gifted them they will lend them to me to read too, except the fourth giftee, for obvious reasons.

Yes, books really are the wonderful presents to give and receive!

 

4 comments:

Cathy Ace said...

Ohhh....thanks for this lovely shout-out, Rachel...I'm chuffed to bits :-)

Alan Orloff said...

Good choices! You can never go wrong with On Writing!

Alan Orloff said...

...or with Cathy Ace!

RM Greenaway said...

:)