Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Doo doo doo

Q:  Are you taking a break or is this prime, quiet writing time for you?


A:  Neither. 


My fault. I have too much to do, and instead of doing it in those valuable windows of opportunity, I endeavour to give myself something more fun to do, like take singing lessons.
As a result, this Christmas I'll be working pretty well all the way through, and when I get the worst of it done, when everyone else is reveling in snow and scotch, how can I possibly write?

My road seems paved with good intentions and to-do lists and New Year's resolutions. Although I love writing, and it's my favourite thing to do, I still put it on the back burner like it's the silliest of hobbies rather than a thing of value. It's the Grinch in me, the realist, the one who says don't bother; it's trite; the world needs bricks and bread, not more cops and robber fiction. Then there's the money factor....I doubt my cops and robbers will ever buy the essentials -- like bricks and bread.


What makes me write? Deadlines. I always manage to meet them, but barely.


Also coffee with my good writer pal. Our enthusiasm builds on itself, makes me restless to get back to that silliest of hobbies and start weaving Dion in and out of his personal catastrophes and inventing characters to subvert his efforts to be good.


Well, hey! I started to write this blog in a crummy mood. I meant to begin and end this post with one word ("neither"), along with the mopey emoji. But instead I've gone rambling on to a realization: I WILL find time to write this Christmas, and I'll love every minute of it, and just the thought of it right now fills me a sort of four-year-old glee, like I've got a day of tobogganing ahead of me.


Soon as I take care of this in-tray!!

Merry Christmas everybody.



6 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

Glad you got your writing mojo back after writing this column, RM. And Merry Christmas to you, too.

Art Taylor said...

Happy holidays and happy writing days ahead! I'm like you in terms of being driven by deadlines--or else convinced that no one really cares for what I might right. I'm with you and cheering you on!

RJ Harlick said...

Deadlines have that effect on me too. Hope you find time to enjoy your Christmas too. Merry Christmas.

RM Greenaway said...

Thanks to all for dropping by!

Susan C Shea said...

Happy holidays and best of luck with the writing!

Cathy Ace said...

Good luck with DOing it all! x